ATX Community

E-file reject, EIN no match, now what

jklcpa

Handwritten W-2 (cringe) and originally EIN was missing, but was entered in the state block. Client contacted employer and employer verified this as the EIN. I really think it's the SS# and he's filing Sch H, but not sure. Client & 'er insisted this is the correct # though. Client says this employer is going to call me tomorrow. Why, he's not my client???

E-file was rejected due to EIN mismatch for this employer name. Not a surprise, is it?

I did a reverse EIN match through an internet site, and EIN comes up with an emergency services group in TX.

So then I did another search with portion of name & limited to state of Delaware. No matches. Now what??? Anything else I can try?

If I paper file the return, will client get credit for the withholding with this EIN problem??? Any help here appreciated.

Judy

Judy,

I don't want to seem unduly suspicious, but, are you sure there really was withholding and this is not some sort of a scam. I have had some would-be clients come to me with W-2's or 1099's I was suspicious about and some I have actually refused to do the return....such as the young woman who brought me hers and her boyfriends information to do their returns, did neither. He had a Sch C, "paid" her as an independent contractor, ok, 9k off his income, 9k in hers, with a dependent she got good EIC. Sorry!! There might be something going on that you're not aware of.

AnnieR

I'm not suspicious of my clients at all. I've known them for over 25 yrs, from my previous firm & 13 yrs on my own. I haven't spoken with the employer yet, but he's supposedly very wealthy. I "think" that he's either to using his SS # on the W-2, or possibly a transposition in the EIN.

I'm not suspicious of my clients at all. I've known them for over 25 yrs, from my previous firm & 13 yrs on my own. I haven't spoken with the employer yet, but he's supposedly very wealthy. I "think" that he's either to using his SS # on the W-2, or possibly a transposition in the EIN.

Try calling the efile help line. They may be able to tell you if its transposed or what. I don't think they will tell you the correct number but they give you a hint of whats going on.

Spoke with the employer. It's not his SSN but an old EIN from when he & wife had a nanny. He assumed it was still valid. 2007 is first year for trying to use it again. He'll be filing Sch H with his not-yet-completed return. Someone from Price Waterhoosit of Philadelphia will be "coordinating this with me." Loved that one.

Then he tried to say that I got the number wrong. HA! His email to my client was forwarded directly to me & the number matches the state reporting number handwritten by him.

THEN he went on to b*tch about the high accounting & legal fees he would be paying to straighten this out. I just loved that one too. After that whining, then he asked if I'd consider fixing it. Sorry, not taking any new work to add to the mountain of papers I'm already under.

I don't know just how many years the EIN went unused. Is it possible that the IRS reused the number again?????

• 2 weeks later...

I did a reverse EIN match through an internet site, and EIN comes up with an emergency services group in TX.

So then I did another search with portion of name & limited to state of Delaware. No matches. Now what??? Anything else I can try?

Judy

Judy,

Sorry for reviving an old post, but can you tell me where you did a reverse look-up for an employer identification number?

I have a client who only has a pay stub with the name and address of the company, however, the company (owner) has pulled up stakes and left the stage (CA)

With no EIN, I can't e-file the return.

Thanks,

Jerry

Thanks Ed. Actually, when I tried to e-file mine & was rejected it may have saved my client and the wife's employer a lot of future correspondence. The employer was trying to use a defunct EIN that has been reassigned to another company. Employer is filing Sch H, so it saved him some headaches too. Both parties will be able to fix this before the returns are filed. I do intend to paper file for my client once I get a corrected W-2 later this year. For now the return is on extension.