ATX Community

ATX Offer to Win $5000 moved up to June 20

mcb39

Bob:

I'm thinking about your commission - I want to do what's fair.

Given the mindset inherited from ATX, I'm thinking I will decide that only whatever is in my best interests will constitute what is fair.

I guess "fair" is in the eyes of the beholder. Here I give you good solid financial advice, after years of training, and you seem to think it's a gift.

The very least you could do IF you win is to reimburse my $0.41 plus the cost of my 3x5 card, envelope, oh yes, and a little bit of ink I used to mail in my 3x5 card. I won't be able to deduct that as gambling loss because I didn't win anything. You, on the other hand could deduct your $0.41 plus the amount paid to me as reimbursement which you could classify as a cost expended in the course of winning...you know, "financial advice."

We're so lucky to be tax advisors....

Update.......and now they are calling to with reminders that the time is running out for renewals with discount. Odd...because I don't recall them calling me more than once or twice before in the course of ten or so years. The call came within days of the e-mail. I was at a meeting so got to listen to the message.

In all fairness, though, have to say that Taxslayer is also calling as a followup to demo they sent out. Truthfully, money is tight out there in all phases of supply and demand that I, personally deal with. I know that my husband's business is suffering acutely and there is a definite slowdown at the Dental Office in which I work part time.

I re-upped, despite my resentment over the Community Board debacle. I test-drove Drake, by prepping a 1041 I'd already prepped in ATX. Drake didn't catch a significant underpayment penalty and some trivial AMT flow-throughs. Drake's techs were well-intentioned but not as tech-savvy as ATX's. The last straw was, after I'd emailed the flawed 1041 to Drake, NO ONE got back to me about it. Never had that experience in my five years with ATX. (My worst ATX tech experience was waiting 45 minutes on the phone, one night this April, futilely. That never had happened before; so, for one thing, I was quite primed to ditch ATX.)

In addition, I need the rather full-bore Kleinrock research bundled with TTO. Drake's offer of limited RIA Checkpoint wasn't enough -- and subscribing separately to RIA would've doubled the cost of re-upping with TTO, instead. (Also checked out Tax Analysts -- too little state resources, compared to Kleinrock -- and CCH -- even costlier.)

So, in my case, TTO remains the cheapest, accurate, *comprehensive* alternative to Drake, Lacerte, ProSeries + whichever tax-research provider to add-on to one's tax-prep software.

For what it's worth, very truly yours, TaxCPANY

Yes, I see it that way also. Frankly, these days, with tax law not only much more complex than it used to be, but with a population that seems more and more primed to sue everyone any time anything goes wrong, I am surprised at the number of users who do not buy or use tax research at all, just depending on boards such as these, [great as we all are, of course :D ] and asking others to do their research for them.

During our busiest, and most stressed out times, is when most of the more complex issues seem to arise. And depending on getting the right answer in a timely fashion by relying on the generosity of friends seems a dangerous way to run a business. I think I'm pretty good at tax knowledge, but I use the TTO research sources a LOT, during tax season especially. I may fire off an answer here 'off the top of my head' from time to time, but even if I think I know the answer, before I finalize a return, I check that belief against the official sources, first. Sometimes I am wrong, simply because the law has either changed, or a court ruling has limited or expanded a rule. Sometimes it is because of some exception, and while my first answer used to be right, and perhaps still is right for some cases, it is no longer right for the specific situation at hand. I owe it to my clients to be sure, first.

And when you look at the cost of the program combined with the research, I truly do not think that there is another package that gives as much, at close to the price, as ATX does now. And, of course, the new features, the Document Management system and the Trial Balance, should make it an even better bargain.

Sent in my 3X5 card today. I wonder what I'll do with my $5000 ... :~))

taxbilly

With your income - we'll assume a 28% tax rate, so after taxes you'll have $3600 then you can share it with us, of course. 3600/258 = $13.95 per member. I need mine right away, so just send it as soon as possible. If you don't win...I'll return it :rolleyes: :lol: