ATX Community

Custom excel spreadsheets

Eric

How many of you have custom spreadsheets that you import into your tax returns? What do you use them for? Are they likely to be useful to others?

I'm just trying to get a feel for whether having a library of downloadable spreadsheets would be a useful addition to this site.

I don't use them.

I have some custom spreadsheets in Excel, mostly for my resident state of Delaware. At the beg of this year I tried to import & make as a form that I could add to any return. I couldn't get that working.

Most of these returns having this sched are paper filing anyway so I just open Excel & work there.

I have a couple of larger Sch C clients that I make a book/tax comparison with explanations from the book numbers and check figures. I do it every year and just put it in the client folder next to the .pdf of the return. I print it out and put it on top of the clients financials in the file (cir 230 protection). But I don't think it is something that could be shared, as I have a hard time reusing the one from the previous year.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I do not import any worksheets into ATX although I use them for my clients to tie out totals for things like dividends, interest, capital gains and losses. They function as my way to double check what I input into ATX. Many of my clients have multiple brokerage accounts due to different investment managers. These managers each do hundreds of sales in a year. The spreadsheets help me to make sure the proceeds reported on 1099 tie to the sales reported on Sch D.

I have a client with multiple partnerships. Each partnership may have k-1 income from multiple states. I use a spread sheet to accumulate the positive and negative income for each state from each partnership. The resulting total income is used to prepare the various state tax returns.

I usually make them as I need them, generally for stuff like stock options, tracking basis, etc. As a result, since each time I devise such a spreadsheet, it's a little different from all the others.

I have not been importing worksheets, but I probably would if I saw one that was better than what I was using already.