ATX Community

Stimulus - not a question

Karen Lee

My client has an 18 yr old son that lived with her for more that 7 months in 2007, went to school for 5 months, worked about 2 months. Son stole mom's car, gas credit card and shot out barn windows just to give you a taste of this kid's character. Client took dependency and now son is screaming at mom that it was against the law to claim the dependency and she stole his stimulus payment and she should send him the money.

Client was very upset and I assured her that nothing "illegal" was done. Also told her that was a very serious allegation for me and that I would like to speak with her son (preferably restrained). All I can say really is "bring it on you dumb SOB".

Client told him that she would apply the payment towards what he has destroyed or stolen and would send a copy of the charges with credit applied.

Can't believe it!

Karen

The fact that he stole her car, stole her credit cards, and shot out the windows but she hasn't already had the jerk arrested probably tells you all you need to know. He needs to spend more than a few nights in the slammer (or detox) to help him get his mind right.

Her worries over the accusation are the least of her concerns since there's a good chance she's enabling this behavior by her passiveness. He didn't just suddenly turn 18 and simulatenously begin behaving like this. You'd be well advised to stay out of this since mommy isn't able or willing to take any definitive action.

>>he stole her car, stole her credit cards<<

Always champion of the underdog, I'll take the KID'S side in this. Unless the tax preparer completed a dependency support worksheet, the mother had no right to claim her son because he was not a qualifying child. Stolen money is taxable income to the thief, and it looks to me like the exemption properly goes to the young man who provided more than half of his own support.

>>he stole her car, stole her credit cards<<

Always champion of the underdog, I'll take the KID'S side in this. Unless the tax preparer completed a dependency support worksheet, the mother had no right to claim her son because he was not a qualifying child. Stolen money is taxable income to the thief, and it looks to me like the exemption properly goes to the young man who provided more than half of his own support.

Excellent points, but we'd need more info. Did he also pay for the gun & bullets? I think weapons & ammo can be counted toward support. And if he were my kid he might not be able to claim himself as a dependent this year since if I get my way the state will be paying for much of his room & board. I'm guessing he won't even be able to count his legal fees as a part of his own support, unless there's some sort of exception for obtaining the services of a public defender.