ATX Community

IRS BACKLOG UPDATE X

Lee B

According to IRS testimony to the House Ways & Means Cmte, the combined IRS Backlog for tax years 2019 & 2020

is now 24 Million Tax Returns!  Included are 12.3 Million paper filed tax returns, plus 6 Million tax returns with unresolved issues

which will require manual intervention! The 12.3 Million paper filed returns includes a number of business returns. 🥵

• Like 1
  • Angry 2

1 hour ago, cbslee said:

According to IRS testimony to the House Ways & Means Cmte, the combined IRS Backlog for tax years 2019 & 2020

is now 24 Million Tax Returns!  Included are 12.3 Million paper filed tax returns, plus 6 Million tax returns with unresolved issues

which will require manual intervention! The 12.3 Million paper filed returns includes a number of business returns. 🥵

Oh, but we get an extension of one month. One month to explain and hand hold 500 clients because of late changes. Perfect. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Possi said:

Oh, but we get an extension of one month. One month to explain and hand hold 500 clients because of late changes. Perfect. 

We've already had calls.  At some point, ALL the clients need Rita-hugs.  And double for the IRS, and triple for the legisvermin in DC!

• Like 8

Yesterday, I spoke with the IRS about an amendment that was sent 3/23/2020.  IT has finally been worked.  I asked about the backlog.  The IRS rep told me that they are working on amendments received in April 2020.    She had no idea when they would get to the ones sent in June/July!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Hahn1040 said:

Yesterday, I spoke with the IRS about an amendment that was sent 3/23/2020.  IT has finally been worked.  I asked about the backlog.  The IRS rep told me that they are working on amendments received in April 2020.    She had no idea when they would get to the ones sent in June/July!

This is extremely strange, because I mailed an amended 2019 Form 1040 on the same day. My client received a refund check in late July about 4 months later.

It's like playing a slot machine.

• Like 2