ATX Community

NT / Yep, They're Out There

RitaB

Former client, never paid me, comes in today needing copy of returns, per the lawyer. Seems hubby is in some sort of trouble, and needs those copies in the worst way. I remember him well, I did five returns in one year, cause he was "behind" in filing. He PICKED UP the returns, apparently filed them, and actually bothered to come in a few weeks later to tell me he would pay me soon.

I tell wife, "No, ma'am, I will not make copies until I get paid the $385 you owe me."

She gets huffy, and says, "Are you telling me that you won't make me copies of OUR tax papers?"

Me: "No, I am telling you that I gave you YOUR tax papers, you did not pay for MY work, so I am not making copies of my work and giving them to you."

"Fine, I will just call IRS and work around it."

OK, I know I was a total moron to give them the returns the first time. But I am sitting here amazed that she is actually mad at ME now! Happy Monday!

Former client, never paid me, comes in today needing copy of returns, per the lawyer. Seems hubby is in some sort of trouble, and needs those copies in the worst way. I remember him well, I did five returns in one year, cause he was "behind" in filing. He PICKED UP the returns, apparently filed them, and actually bothered to come in a few weeks later to tell me he would pay me soon.

I tell wife, "No, ma'am, I will not make copies until I get paid the $385 you owe me."

She gets huffy, and says, "Are you telling me that you won't make me copies of OUR tax papers?"

Me: "No, I am telling you that I gave you YOUR tax papers, you did not pay for MY work, so I am not making copies of my work and giving them to you."

"Fine, I will just call IRS and work around it."

OK, I know I was a total moron to give them the returns the first time. But I am sitting here amazed that she is actually mad at ME now! Happy Monday!

How about if these people go to the IRS and say that you never gave them their copies? Would you be penalized $50 for each year by the IRS?

Who cares? It's April and you have better things to do. She'll pay $ to get copies from the IRS. And, $385 for FIVE years. And prior years at that, where you have to pull out your old software and research materials for tax law changes. Have a sheet on hand for just such occasions listing a few fees, including $100/year copying charge for prior year returns. Tell her you'll get then out of storage as soon as her check clears, or she can bring cash...

How about if these people go to the IRS and say that you never gave them their copies? Would you be penalized $50 for each year by the IRS?

Well, I DID give them their copies, ("give" being the key word here) so I guess it's their word against mine. How would I prove something like that? I would not put it past them to do that...

Well, I DID give them their copies, ("give" being the key word here) so I guess it's their word against mine. How would I prove something like that? I would not put it past them to do that...

We know you gave copies, but that's the first thing they will tell the IRS.

The reason I brought this to the table is because I was on an audit and the auditor asked my client... Did Mr. Pacun give you copies of your return? My client replied yes. I wondered if I was going to be penalized if my client said "No".

My friend went to an audit and he said that the tax preparer didn't give him copies and the preparer was penalized $50 by the auditor.