ATX Community

I HAVE LOST IT!!!!!

Silverbelle

:D :D Oh Mike--I love that!!! I'm going to send it to everyone I know--do you think my clients would be offended? I'm the one who originally started this thread, and I must tell you that the client that had gotten the notice that needed to be replied to immediately did drop by my office yesterday evening to tell me that he had called the IRS himself and that the notice was a mistake on their part so he didn't need me to do anything. I praised him greatly for taking some initiative on his on. And then, a church (which is not even my church but I have been helping, came by to tell me today that they had found someone else who was going to do their books for them, but they didn't want to hurt my feelings. I almost kissed that guy! Now that I work fulltime I just don't have the time for pain in the you know whats! So, things are looking up! We will survive!

I think all the "crazies" are coming out this week. I had two that I thought I was going to be lucky enough that they went somewhere else -- no such luck with one -- I'm still holding out hope on the other!

This one shows up with an envelope of receipts -- THREE (count em) THREE -- Certified Letters from IRS (unopened). She got into some financial trouble last year (wage garnishments etc) and didn't get her balance due paid. She has nothing except a "fix or repair daily" pickup.

Not sure how I'll go about this with the IRS but she only owes them $1500 for last year. She's bawling in my office about going to jail. She'll probably end up owing them about the same thing this year. And I'm such a sap -- I tell her not to worry about my fee right now. Cripes -- it's only $100 to me, but might as well be $1,000 to her.

She's got some mental problems, drug user in her younger days, troubled youth, can't hold a job, does a little lawn maintenance/cleanup self-employed business for a mall, has little to no withholding on her W-2's. She'd file bankruptcy but can't even get the money together to do that.

I'm just curious -- do any of you have a client that you just can't seem to turn away, no matter what?

I sure do! I have a farmer that brings in his receipts all stuffed in a bag, crumpled up and he raises pigs to boot. So the stuff stinks. I get the rubber gloves out and sit a night or two and take all the receipts out, unfold them, sort them, etc. (and of course mumble to myself how I hate going thru his receipts) He is an older man, very nice. The kicker is - he can't read. I found that out a few years ago when I had to call him in to tell me what some receipts were. He couldn't tell me because he can't read them. The local businesses know him well and knows he can't read so I can call them anytime about certain receipts and they are more than willing to help me (him) out. When it's time to pay me, I tell him what he owes, and he hands me a blank check for me to fill it out and he just signs it. I would love to get rid of him, but I know that nobody is going to put up with going through his mess of receipts. And if they do, they will charge him pretty well. I've been doing his return for many years so I only charge him $10.00 an hour to go thru all his receipts. Call me a sucker, but again, he's a really nice guy.

Christy: Your client can set up an installment agreement for about $60 per month on the $3K she owes. That's assuming she isn't a candidate for an OIC, but who has time for that under these circumstance?

ajuroff: Your situation reminds me of a client I had back in the 1980's who used his truck to haul things. (Cows, pigs, garbage, appliances, furniture, whatever). He would bring me a bag of gas receipts & repair invoices, along with a well-worn calendar on which he had written the name and amount collected for any day he had work. Both the calendar and the receipts carried a mlutitude of aromas. I'd add all this stuff up and charge him $16 or so for the return because he had a lot of pride and didn't want something for nothing. I usually got his return back to him pretty quick because I didn't want the stuff sitting around my office ripening for very long.

Most of us will have a few "situations" that just don't fit the mold. I certainly do even to this day. I'd say to both of you that you're doing the right thing for these clients - some of the rewards in this business don't wind up in the checking account.

John said it very well. Many of us have clients that don't fit the mold. Each of us has to pick and choose according to our consciences. I have had a few this year who have pushed me too far and got themselves fired. No, John, I did not reconsider. I might try to put together some numbers for the "son" just in case as he hasn't picked up his stuff yet. May file an extension for him so that I can sleep, but will not allow them to come back next year if I decide to continue with this crazy business.

Thanks John--you're right on the "rewards".

I assured her yesterday (as she sat across from me crying) that she wasn't going to go to jail. Had her sign a POA for the years involved and told her not to worry. Sent her off so I could work in peace on her mess.

Tomorrow's another day. :)

I posted this again yesterday on a different thread however I think you will find this link both appropriate and entertaining.

Simply follow this link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/VPYNCHON

Let me know your reactions.

Thanks

Mike Dubin CPA

What a way to start my day!

I enjoyed every minute of it, and I only wish I would apply it!

Deb!