ATX Community

E-Filing 4868's

Booger

CONSIDERING E-Filing my 4868's (one's with no payments) this year.

I have a couple of questions:

1.Does the system know that you are only e-filing the extension, and therefore will allow you

to e-file the 1040 when finished?

2.Are there any special "steps" one needs to take in order to e-file the 4868's?

Thank you for your responses.

Booger

PS Can you e-file the 4868 then paper-file the 1040, and visa-versa?

CONSIDERING E-Filing my 4868's (one's with no payments) this year.

I have a couple of questions:

1.Does the system know that you are only e-filing the extension, and therefore will allow you

to e-file the 1040 when finished?

2.Are there any special "steps" one needs to take in order to e-file the 4868's?

Thank you for your responses.

Booger

PS Can you e-file the 4868 then paper-file the 1040, and visa-versa?

YES, YES, YES and YES....on the bottom of the 4868 page there is an option for E-File Info. Fill it out as you would an 8879 for a regular return. When you click on E-File at the top of the return, it will give you the option for Fed, 4868 and State. Choose 4868 only. It will then create an E-file for only the 4868 which you can transmit. Yes, you can either e-file or paper file the return later.

Thank You, mcchampine.

Grateful Booger

Watch out though --

Massachusetts extensions with no payments are getting caught in a limbo of "Validated by EFC". They have some internal coding problems with these forms. Federal are going through fine, and I have no other-state extensions. But at this point, all MA extensions that I have are going out on paper.

Catherine

YES, YES, YES and YES....on the bottom of the 4868 page there is an option for E-File Info. Fill it out as you would an 8879 for a regular return. When you click on E-File at the top of the return, it will give you the option for Fed, 4868 and State. Choose 4868 only. It will then create an E-file for only the 4868 which you can transmit. Yes, you can either e-file or paper file the return later.

So, Booger, does the taxpayer have to sign anything (for us to e-file the 4868)? I am copying from my post on another thread:

Ok, I just now looked at the "e-file info" tab on a 4868, and in red letters ATX says, "This page must be included for any Form 4868 extension you wish to file electronically with the IRS." The form has a blank for date signed.

Is ATX wrong up there in red? I have been creating and transmitting all afternoon without completing the e-file info tab stuff. Not yet heard about any acknowledgements...

Thanks; I am fried. But not a fried booger.

They only have to sign if they are paying, and the Form they sign for that is the 8879. Otherwise, their PIN is all it takes. Just put in the date they authorized you to file the extension, in other words, the date you are filing it.

No sigs needed if it's a zero due extension.

Watch out though --

Massachusetts extensions with no payments are getting caught in a limbo of "Validated by EFC". They have some internal coding problems with these forms. Federal are going through fine, and I have no other-state extensions. But at this point, all MA extensions that I have are going out on paper.

Catherine

Don't you have to phone in MA extensions with zero due?

"Filing Your Extension by Telephone or Via the Web

If you owe no tax or you are making a payment of $5,000 or more, you are required to file your extension by telephone or via the web. If

you are making a payment of less than $5,000, you also have the option of filing your extension electronically. If there is a tax due with

your extension, payment can be made through Electronic Funds Withdrawal.

Call (617) 660-2222 to file your extension by telephone or visit www.mass.gov/dor to file via the Web or to obtain Form M-4868."