ATX Community

SAME TIME DATA BACK UP

KATHERINE

1 hour ago, Catherine said:

Warning with BackBlaze: some colleagues near me use it, and it failed to make any backups for two weeks and never notified them of the failures.  How'd they find out? Looking for a backup copy of something accidentally deleted, that was less than two weeks old.  They were seriously not pleased.

The software probably tried to update and failed due to security software. I had that problem with iDrive, which I never really cared for. It kept trying to update and failing, but it failed after it had uninstalled the old version.

This is also why they weren't notified. I'm guessing the software does the notification, not the website. It would be better if the website notified you.

I have Backblaze set (from the website) to email me backup results weekly. So if I don't get that email, I know something's wrong. But I open backblaze from the system tray several times a week to see how it's going.

The lesson is, you can't ignore your computer and assume everything is working. Computers mess up, and you need to be sure what you think is running, actually is running. This is why I'm always looking at my system tray area to see what icons are there, including backblaze.

• Like 1

The ONLY way to be sure what was backed up is complete, and usable, is to do a restore.  Replying on a "completed"
 message, or even seeing some sort of file, is not enough.  The file could be empty, incomplete (not containing all you need), etc.  After a few months, you will have a good idea of the size your backups should be, and monitoring size may be sufficient (in addition to 1x or 2x per year testing the full restore).

"Security" software is usually not.  There are plenty of baked into Windows functions which protect all but the most novice and inattentive computer user.  This time of year, I get many messages from customers who claim my download does not work, when the issue is "security" software deleting files without warning.  Ironically, a recompile will easily fool the security software (not that there is anything nefarious in my software).  The flaw is not searching for known exploits, but the "security" software vendors WAG at what a future exploit will be.  Plus, they have a FINANCIAL SURVIVAL interest in showing users they are being "protected", making false positives quite profitable, with little to no penalty.  People believe their "security" vendor before believing their "security" vendor could be imperfect - knowingly!

Plus, a good backup system negates the need for any add on "security" software because you could be back up and running in a short time, on a new or wiped computer.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lion EA said:

Hard drives do fail. But sometimes they just become electronically or physically disconnected. I called my IT guy in a panic when my computer no longer had my external hard/backup drive listed. He had me restart my computer, and it found the drive. I should've know that when something fails, reboot. And, that's why I have an IT guy on retainer!

Good luck, Katherine. I think with at least two methods, you're in good shape (the belt & suspenders method). I have the IT guy set up of external hard drive plus online backups that run automatically and are checked by my IT guy, and often by me. AND I have flash drives for specific folders/specific purposes, but those rely on my backing up to the flash. One's for my tax software, one for my "clients" folder, one for my own biz folder, one for a large biz client that I go to his site on occasion, those kinds of things. (I used to backup to the flash drives when a nor'easter or hurricane or...was expected, but now we have a generator so I worry less.)

Thank you!   Really appreciate you and other friends here bring us up by giving all your kindness advice.  I wish I would do  the same to others too.   I am starting to build my methods fit me.    

• Like 1