ATX Community

Binary Attachment

Randall

Married clients filed MFS.  His return included Form 8962, was accepted.  Her return did not include Form 8962, was rejected by IRS.  Message reads The e-File database indicates that Form 8962 or a binary attachment with description containing ACA Explanation must be present in the return.  What is a binary attachment?  I tried to load Form 8962 into her return and click on no PTC.  But it will not allow the form.

I didn't find much about a binary attachment.  I guess it's all tech jargon.  But I did find a fix.  I first tried to include Form 8962 but it couldn't be included in an efile for MFS.  So I used the Elections/Statements to make a statement.  It was included in the return but I also printed it in pdf format and attached it to the return with the title ACA Explanation.  Apparently it worked.  The return was accepted by IRS.  I just don't know which one of the two made it work.   So if anyone else has this situation, I hope this helps.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cbslee said:

You will find lots of explanatory stuff about this online

Randall...I agree with you, there isn't much in regard to binary attachment specific to a tax return.  Maybe cbslee is willing to share what was found??  

It seems binary attachment points to a pdf file.  Here's some specific information in regard to an efile return rejection:

A return that requires a supporting document in PDF form will reject if it is transmitted without the PDF or if the PDF is attached at the wrong place in the return. In the reject, the IRS refers to the the PDF document as a "binary attachment".

I think in your case, the statement you included was the answer.  I'm glad it was accepted.

Binary just means electronic, ones and zeros. Must have been a really old person who wrote that. They may have done that because it's possible in the future that they'll accept other kinds of attachments besides PDF, but who knows.

Regardless, the message simply means you need an 8962 or an attachment explaining why you aren't including the 8962. Why these messages can't be more plain language and less jargon is beyond me. The IT department needs a non-IT person to help with writing these messages.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TAXMAN said:

46 minutes ago, TAXMAN said:

If I follow what the instructions say about putting a 0 in box 1 and fill in part 4 it will not efile. ATX say delete form and it will clear efile. Should I attach it as a pdf file and see if it will go through?

The efile may clear ATX but not IRS. 

On 3/1/2022 at 7:12 AM, Randall said:

I also printed it in pdf format and attached it to the return with the title ACA Explanation.  Apparently it worked.  The return was accepted by IRS. 

I would be interested to know if the return is processed quickly (and they get their refund), or if adding the explanation pushes it to some error queue which requires manual intervention (and likely a long delay).