ATX Community

Doozy of a client

mcbreck

I've mentioned this guy before. In his 50's, runs a company with over 100 employees, Ivy League MBA and he's monitoring his father's tax prep. I've known the father for 30 years and he's physically incapacitated / nursing home and not all there mentally.

Son wants to know why his father's w2 shows $50k in income, but there were only deposits for $33k. He wants me to provide an accounting of the difference. Literally attached a copy of the W2 to the email making this request.

Son wants me to explain to him why his father is still subject to SS and MEDA on earned income (they are commissions).

His family flew to Florida to visit a University for his daughter's decision making process. While on the trip they attended a concert for University concert orchestra. He wonders why he can't deduct the entire trip as a charitable donation. He's adamant the tickets MUST be deductible.

Son now thinks I've improperly included in the W2 income his father's IRA Required Minimum Distribution (I gave him a copy of the 1099R).

I'm not sure if the son is punking me or he's really this clueless. When I mentioned it to the father last year (son declared I'd done the return all wrong) - he insisted his son has never done a tax return in his entire life and has no clue.

Has the father signed an 2848 or an 8821 authorizing his son to receive information and/or act for his father?

If not, just tell the son you are not authorized to discuss the father's tax return with him.

Unfortunately, no matter what you do, this is going to continue to be a PITA.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...