ATX Community

NT Computer problems??

redux

Sometime in the recent past, on this forum, a group of ex-ATX employees announced the formation of their newest enterprise, called Virtual Managed Solutions (VMS US). Their company was formed for the purpose of “remote” support or management of computers and related software.

I had a computer that had had a Trojan in it, which had been discovered and cleaned using Trend Micro. I ran repeated scans using Trend Micro that didn’t result in any further help. The computer was still very sick. Apparently the Trojan installed and imbedded pop-ups and other malware that caused it to slow down and intermittently refuse to do some tasks. Basically, I did all I knew to do with very little productive results.

Today I called VMS US to see what they could do. Well, I’m happy to say that after 4 hours the computer is free of adware, and malware; the registry, that had much wrong with it, was cleaned of all superfluous “stuff.” All in all, the entire computer is now working as advertised. It has its old speed back, is free of pop-ups, always does what is asked and is healthy and normal.

I couldn’t be happier. Keeping in mind that I have no dog in the fight for a successful launch of their company, I just wanted to share my success with you folks. If you have similar problems, I highly recommend VMS US and their services. The cost is $199 per year. You can purchase a single incident if you prefer however, today they only made $50/hour on me and I still have a year of service waiting if I need it. There is no limit on the number of calls for the $199. They are professional, knowledgeable, friendly, and need all the business they can get. Remember these folks are part of the ATX employees who were terminated, so we already “know” many of them and their work ethic. Their phone number is 1-877-VMS-US90, (1-877-867-8790)

Mike Kinder, a founding owner, writes “The number is a part of the effort we are making to get any request for support started within 90 minutes of the initial support request from our customer. The US part is informing people that all of our reps are US based - thus VMS US 90.”

I hope none of you have a need for their services but if you do, especially during tax season, call them you’ll be pleased.

That sounds like a good insurance policy, for a fair price. One question, does that price cover just one computer, or any and all computers you have?

That is for one computer but there are price breaks if you have multiple computers. It also includes online backup storage that compresses and encrypts your data. Which you can schedule for a time convient for you.

As a side question. I've heard of the one party connecting and viewing your computer. I've wondered just how that works. Do both parties have to have special software? Does the other party have complete access to everything on your computer? Are they limited to just the OS or can you make restrictions? I suppose there's a degree of trust necessary here?

Does anyone have a brief, layman's explanation?

My experience, with a different company (3GStore and ATX), is that they can go anywhere on your computer. You are able to monitor whern they are going because it is all reflected on your monitor. From my perspective it was like watching over someone's shoulder as they worked the mouse, etc. Ultimately, you can terminate the link if necessary. In my case, they were on the phone at the same time and were able to explain what they were donig...it was just far easier instead of trying to talk me through it.

Mike

As a side question. I've heard of the one party connecting and viewing your computer. I've wondered just how that works. Do both parties have to have special software? Does the other party have complete access to everything on your computer? Are they limited to just the OS or can you make restrictions? I suppose there's a degree of trust necessary here?

Does anyone have a brief, layman's explanation?

My experience with ATX and Timberline Software are the same as Mike's. They will have you connect to them, but you can actually take the mouse from them at any point in the session and override. In the case of Timberline, because I know the setup better than they do, I usually take them to the place in the software where I am having the issue, and then let them take over from there. It really makes support easier when you are both looking at the same screen and can run the report or operation and show the tech the error.

In my opinion, you should not have misgivings about the security of your data when working with reputable support companies. Especially since you are watching what they are doing.

Tom

Lodi, CA

The solution is an application called gotoassist from Citrix it is secure and very robust. What you see on your screen is exactly what the tech is doing. They can not run anything with out you seeing it on your screen. Also when the session is terminated by you the agents are unable to access your machine with out your knowledge. I think you will find the people at VMS are very professional. I am sure you may have even called and talked to some of them before. Northern Maine has a good reputation of hardworking people and you will not find a better group of people to work with.

The solution is an application called gotoassist from Citrix it is secure and very robust. What you see on your screen is exactly what the tech is doing. They can not run anything with out you seeing it on your screen. Also when the session is terminated by you the agents are unable to access your machine with out your knowledge. I think you will find the people at VMS are very professional. I am sure you may have even called and talked to some of them before. Northern Maine has a good reputation of hardworking people and you will not find a better group of people to work with.

While all of what mastertax07 says above is true, I especially endorse and agree with the "...you will not find a better group of people to work with." part of his statement.