ATX Community

E-sign for dummies - suggestions

BulldogTom

My clients have become dummies (or they have gotten rid of all their computers, printers and scanners - 'cuz like a phone can do everything now days!).   It seems this year that the process of printing out, signing and sending back the 8879s has become too much for some of my clients who only have a phone for everything now.   Some of them can't comprehend an email that says "print, sign and scan back to the portal your engagement letter and forms 8879".

I am so frustrated with some of these clients...they seem to think I am the problem, even though they have been sending me their docs through the portal for a couple years now.  Maybe I am and maybe I should think about getting out of the hand-holding business (aka tax prep).

If I capitulate and add e-sign for forms, what is it going to cost me, who should I buy it from and how complicated is it for my clients to use.   

Tom
Longview, TX

I hear you about so many folks now using only their phone and texting.  But signing electronically is a godsend, in my opinion.  Very few of my clients ever had functional printers and no one had a scanner. 

I have been using Verifyle for about 3 years now for $9 per month, a very small price in my opinion.  Clients and I upload and download in the secure portal and now I want all communication there and not in email.  I cringe when someone sends bank info or worse via email even after being told about the risks.  And Verifyle does have an app (everything has an app!).

I have added the recommendation to have and use Adobe Scan for any documents that they do not already have in pdf form.  I loathe jpeg uploads as they rarely are legible.  The scans can and should be deleted on their phone after uploading. 

There are only a couple of clients that struggle with Verifyle but they struggle with anything computerized and with anything on the phone that isn't doom scrolling.  Their 'kids' help them or they trek to my office.  This also is not so bad as those folks tend to come early in the season before I'm really busy and bring gifts or take me to lunch.

Breathe...

• Like 2

I use CCH's eSign and even my elderly clients manage. Those that do everything on their phone, can eSign on their phone or computer or tablet or... The price has gone up to $5 per a set of returns (H/W for IRS, CT, NY, & CA is $5; S with IRS & CT is $5). That's fine for me with a few complex returns and not a lot of simple returns (I have NO simple returns!). Anything to save me time. Little children don't have the financial footprint to pass the KB ID verification, but from HS through old age, my clients use it. Whatever program you choose for electronic signing will save you time collecting verified signatures.

• Like 2

With Verifyle you can set up 2fa which I have not done as I know well all of my clients.  I suppose you could have 'secret' questions or video conferencing or any number of ways to verify.  All of my clients have to have provided a current driver's license or state ID in any event as Ohio requires it to e-file.  I love having this portal and not having to mail things back and forth and having electronic documents.  I retired paper documents about 8-10 years ago.

• Like 1

I used Drake's e-signature option the last couple years--wasn't real thrilled with it. Lots of incomplete signatures that I still got charged for.

This year I started using Tax Dome to manage my entire practice. TD is a tax on the expensive side but it also replaces several other softwares I previously had to pay for so the cost became affordable. The learning curve is a bit steep but I love its automations, built in organizer and e-signatures. E-signatures that don't require KBA are free. E-signatures that required KBA (e.g., 8879) are $1/person/return. So far, it has worked as advertised.

• Like 1

I use verifyle and It is at no charge through NATP? or maybe NASEA - one of those organizations -

Most of the clients use it easily - except for those who do nothave emails or do nt ever look at them - I have quite a few

So we mail - had a LLC new business today - that I have to do that with - I said I am emailing your SS-4 and when we receive the accepted papers - you will have to check the email!!

A Blessed Happy Easter to all

(this week or next or Passover)

a church group came in and bought a lot of lamb for their Seder Meal - yum!

Hubby delivered 2 racks of lamb to our family in Oshkosh - I can smell it - but said sorry - cannot come - working yet

D

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 5:54 PM, BulldogTom said:

I already have a portal associated with my website.   

Do I have to get their portal to use their e-sign?

Tom
Longview, TX

Portal and e-sign is done within their site.  But you do not have to use the portal.  We have clients who drop off and then e-sign via encyro.  But they still charge the yearly access fee then .16 per signature.