ATX Community

Clients IRS Checks Returned

Lee B

Some  accountants here in Oregon have had the client's IRS checks returned by the USPS as "undeliverable."

The checks were mailed to the correct Cincinnati OH P O Box.

Several accountants who called the IRS were told, "yeah it's been happening and to have their clients mail the payments again.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Comes under the heading of "nothing works anymore" and if the payments are re-mailed (I'd include a copy of the "undeliverable" notice, for the IRS to see) they'll get through. Most likely the one competent person in the local USPS office was on vacation or out sick and the others just returned everything. Or someone in a bad mood decided to mess with the people paying his salary and benefits by getting them on the bad side of the IRS.

• Like 2

Missouri is sending out checks without any explanation and when I call, they don't always know why the checks went out. Friend received a check in April and another in early July. A client received 2 checks and a bill asking for about 75% of them back. When I called, they really weren't sure why the checks were mailed out.

• Sad 2

I have noticed that a number of stamped letters and large envelopes are being processed by the Postal Service without a postmark.

One of my business clients and I mail documents and reports back and forth every month.

Several times we have reused a large envelope 3 or 4 times before the stamps were cancelled with a postmark🫢

• Like 3