ATX Community

Trying to efile a 1040x where I did not prepare the 1040

NECPA in NEBRASKA

I prepared a 1040 as the child efiled it and then selected amend. It makes 0 difference, because the child only had $5k of income and a $35 refund. ATX is not allowing me to e-file the 1040x, because it says that the 1040 must have been e-filed. It was, just not on my computer. Does anyone know how I can show the program that the 1040 was efiled and accepted? Thanks for any ideas. I did search here and saw that it has been done in previous years by others, but I don't know how to make ATX listen to me.

Thanks,

Bonnie

Are you seeing an error message? I just tried with a mock return and then clicked Amend return from the Returns menu, while the return was open.

The create e-file option shows Federal 1040, and I can check it, but when I create it, I don't see any messages that say I have to have an accepted Federal 1040.  Do you have any states in the return? I know some states require the Federal return to have been e-filed in order to get either the original or amended return e-file.

• Like 1

So I should not create a 1040 and then amend it? Trying to e-file the 1040x is where I get the error message.

Warning Per IRS, if electronically filing an amended return, the original 1040 return must also have been electronically filed and accepted. Otherwise, the amended return must be paper-filed.

Why, why do kids file their own returns? This is such a huge pain. It may be another ATX issue. It means a huge difference on the parent's return.

1 hour ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

So I should not create a 1040 and then amend it? Trying to e-file the 1040x is where I get the error message.

Warning Per IRS, if electronically filing an amended return, the original 1040 return must also have been electronically filed and accepted. Otherwise, the amended return must be paper-filed.

Why, why do kids file their own returns? This is such a huge pain. It may be another ATX issue. It means a huge difference on the parent's return.

Because they have a smart phone and they have plans for their refund 🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, cbslee said:

Because they have a smart phone and they have plans for their refund 🤩

It was $35. She was worried about amending the return in case they took it away.🙄 I'm just upset that it has to be mailed, since there appears to be no way to inform ATX that it was already e-filed and accepted.

20 hours ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

Are you talking about this message? This is just a warning. You should be able to create the e-file and transmit. It is only when the message is Red you have concerns and need to fix something in the return.

image.thumb.png.2e835cd6f2ce30dbe982c65cf4ac459d.png

• Like 4

DBerg, You are correct. I finally figured out that it's the lack of W2 information that is stopping the whole process. She lost her W2s from her original return or "it's on my phone somewhere". She got wage statements from the IRS and it does not show entire FED ID#s or address. I told her to find them or get copies. I have the copy of the 1040, but apparently the W2s are the holdup. I wish that the schools around here would teach some personal finance so that these kids would be able to function and know what things are important to keep. 

• Like 1

It is not just a school issue.  Many people fail to PRINT AND RETAIN the proper records, personal, business, or professional. If I had a dime for every person who asks me if I have paper records of their data... Or my computer failed, do you have my data...

I suspect at least one person here does not have all required paper records (PDF is common), but does not follow the rest of the "I don't keep paper" requirements.  Same for the often shared idea of not keeping any records once there is no legal reason to (no items from 10 years ago for example).

---

I gave up beating the drum on the rules allowing non paper record keeping.  I guess folks are fine with the one item which nags at me, essentially giving warrant-less search rights to anything connected with your e data storage.  The rules were set in the 90's (or earlier), and have not been updated (why should the IRS want to give up rights?).  The second item is having to proactively report ANY possible data issues, which can be something like changing computers or a power issue.

If the IRS has updated the rules, I will be glad, but no one has shown me anything less onerous being allowed, and I stopped looking/monitoring.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 6:13 PM, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

On 9/26/2023 at 4:12 PM, Abby Normal said:

If it's not a red error, then you can efile. That's basic ATX.

The red error turns out to be with the original W2s on the 1040. The dependent filed her 1040 on her phone, tossed or lost any W2s that she had. She got a transcript that only shows partial info for the W2s and a second 1098T that I didn't even know about. I sent her on a mission to get Employer ID#s and the other 1098T. I don't have a lot of hope for success. I feel bad for the parents, because they are going to pay over 2K and then amend, since it will not be processed in time. 

10 hours ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

The red error turns out to be with the original W2s on the 1040. The dependent filed her 1040 on her phone, tossed or lost any W2s that she had. She got a transcript that only shows partial info for the W2s and a second 1098T that I didn't even know about. I sent her on a mission to get Employer ID#s and the other 1098T. I don't have a lot of hope for success. I feel bad for the parents, because they are going to pay over 2K and then amend, since it will not be processed in time. 

Sometimes failure reinforces the process of learning lessons. This happened several times with my clients before you could efile amendments.

Edited by cbslee
add
  • Like 1