ATX Community

NT: backup and recovery software recommendations?

Catherine

Hi folks,

Last Friday a mandatory microsoft update corrupted by OS and I had to wipe the drive and reinstall. My backup and recover software worked great for backups and for recovering files. But. The new version won't read files from the old version. The old version is no longer supported or installable (with NO warning from the vendor, mind you - and that's including not installable from the saved, downloaded, install file from a year or two back). So I'm having to use my personal machine to restore files to an external drive, and then reload them to the being-restored machine.

That's ludicrous. Utterly and completely. And I will not continue with this software going forward; they have now proved they are not reliable and won't stand by their products or customers.

So I come to you, dear friends, and ask what software you use for backup and recovery, and whether (or not) you would recommend it. Backup to a local storage device, preferably with an option for "cold metal restore."

Many thanks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Cobian for me.  It handles the file gathering, full and intermediate backups, encryption, and can send the data to local and.or remote storage.

I separated the file gathering and prep from storage many years ago, so I can be in control. I don';t like the canned backup stuff because they lull most into believing they are storing what they need, rather than the truth (no canned offering is perfect, cannot possibly know all information you need to keep).

I also stopped installing things into any default folder (app or OS default), as those can get corrupted during OS resets. I went back (and what I have required for my consumer software from the very start) to installing into something other than "program files" or any "user" folder. REMEMBER< the default OS settings are to protect the OS maker from providing support, not for your actual benefit. So I have a root folder called "Other Apps" I use to install any app not part of the OS.

• Like 1

I use Back Blaze but have not had to reinstall or retrieve yet.  I will be sharing this info with my computer guy who builds and services my machines.  He uses and recommended Back Blaze.  Then again, I also have a second hard drive in the case and an additional external drive both of which I use to back up at least weekly.  BB is continuous.

So very sorry for this experience for you.  At least not in, say, early March!  Breathe, enjoy the holidays and babies....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

have not had to reinstall or retrieve yet

Remedy this ASAP!  Meaning unless you have actually tried and successfully restored all needed data, you have no idea if your backup is worth anything at all. Worse yet, you may have a false sense of security, thinking your backup will be there if you need it. Also make certain you have multiple backups (a series, I use monthly, quarterly, and annual sets).

Restore into a temporary folder, not over your live data, then compare. Better yet, restore onto your spare computer and see if the results are satisfactory. 4 times a year is reasonable to test your backup, I use the quarter changes. Ideally, your test involved starting with nothing at all, meaning install the needed software, see if you have the logins/passwords/etc., see if you can restore, and what is restored. Yes, it takes effort, but if done, you will be absolutely certain you can start over at any time, with no existing machine needed.

• Like 1

I know, I know... procrastination is a thing.  But now that I have a really nice second computer for personal use (Surface Pro) and have the option to install ATX on it, I will do that - promise!  Thanks for reminding me, Dad!  The guilt complex is enormous :)  Honestly, if I had a complete disaster, I would just throw my hands in the air, retire immediately and curl up and whimper.  Now I'll think about that tomorrow.  Off to the Longest Night Service.

I use EaseUS to do Backup; backing up entire system to alternating external harddrives at specific times.  Harddrives are kept in a safe.  Each computer has its own set of backup drives.  At the same time, ATX clients are backed up religiously and on the go to jump drives that we can pass back and forth.

2 hours ago, mcb39 said:

I use EaseUS to do Backup; backing up entire system to alternating external harddrives at specific times.  Harddrives are kept in a safe.  Each computer has its own set of backup drives.  At the same time, ATX clients are backed up religiously and on the go to jump drives that we can pass back and forth.

Are any of your backups kept in a separate location?  Meaning if you had to walk away from the computer, safe, and jumps, do you have other options?