ATX Community

Cyber insurance

cpabsd

I'm a CPA and am looking at options for cyber insurance.  Recommendations?  

I am a one woman practitioner so not a large company.  Also, any ideas on what reasonable coverage and cost should be?  

Thanks,

Bonnie

A few years back, a CPA (whose system was hacked) said at an IRS forum he had $100,000 worth of coverage and ended up with over $300,000 in costs.  If you do partnerships and corps, there is a multiplier effect from every SSN in your system.  So I'd say ballpark $500k in coverage, more or less depending on your practice.  And ask if coverage includes them coming in and de-bugging your system.

• Like 1

As a CPA you can join AICPA and obtain insurance through it.  I just renewed mine for the umpteenth year and have again added the cyber insurance for $190.  It is for $100,000 but I think I need to revisit that in light of BrewOne's note.  It does say for each 'claim' but I  need to better understand the details.  Definitions can be tricky.

• Like 1

I was doing a Spidell update seminar yesterday and the presenter said that one of his friends got hit by a cyber attack.   He went to his carrier to file the claim and the first question the carrier asked was for his WISP.   He did not have one and the claim was denied.   This is second hand, but Spidell is pretty reliable source.   Just something to think of...

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BulldogTom said:

I was doing a Spidell update seminar yesterday and the presenter said that one of his friends got hit by a cyber attack.   He went to his carrier to file the claim and the first question the carrier asked was for his WISP.   He did not have one and the claim was denied.   This is second hand, but Spidell is pretty reliable source.   Just something to think of...

Tom
Longview, TX

I still recommend Ben Roberts very highly, to everyone here at the ATX Community Forum. He got me an excellent WISP in short order. 

Ben Roberts, [email protected] - tell him I sent you 

send me a PM for his phone number.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BulldogTom said:

Tom
Longview, TX

Interesting. They must write in a specific exclusion for not having a valid WISP. Similar to how an auto policy may have an exclusion for speed contests.  Should still cover failing to do what the WISP says, such as via human error.