ATX Community

Is there a way to convert HEIC files to Adobe PDF?

BulldogTom

My clients are increasingly taking pictures on their phones of their documents to upload in my portal.   We discourage as much as we can since the pictures are hard to read.   The big issue is with iPhone photos.   I have no way to open them (I can open a jpeg).   Is there a tool out there that converts HEIC photos to pdf or jpeg that doesn't require me to get an apple ID and join the Apple universe?

I encourage my clients to use Genius Scan or another app that will create a pdf, but clients will be clients and I don't get a lot of cooperation.   And no....I can't fire them, I need all my clients.

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 2

Ahh, the dreaded iphone photos... I had to download an app last  year but it still took too much time, in my opinion.  This year in my cover letter I stressed that photos cost billable time and were often illegible so encouraged those folks to get a FREE app, like Adobe DC, or even use the scan function that many phones now have then send/upload as pdf files.  Although I do bill the time, the aggravation  isn't worth it but I appreciate that not all folks have scanning capability outside of a phone.  And, in my opinion, do waaaaayyyy too much private stuff, like tax info and documents, on their phones.  At least I use Verifyle for client info so if a breach, it's on them.                    

• Like 2

I try to get my clients to use Scannable, a free app that cleans up their scans, removes creases, changes that grainy gray background to white, straightens it out, etc. And, I try to get them to then email it to me instead of text, so I can save it in my computer to their file. Of course, first I tell them to upload to my portal, but as you say, if they can't do it quick and easy on their phone...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

I try to get them to then email it to me instead of text, so I can save it in my computer to their file

If you have Android, google messages for web is wonderful!  Texts on computer, full screen, full keyboard, etc. 

• Like 2

PC but iPhone. The ones I hate the most are the ones that give you one giant corner but not the full page, maybe .jpeg. I tell clients to use one of the scan apps and upload to my portal. Each year I get another convert or two, but still have stragglers.

At least with Scannable on my phone, if it's garbage on my screen, I can clean it up at this end. Unless it's one of those corner-only pictures!

• Like 1

I tell my clients to use a phone scanner app like CamScanner (or any of the others) and not to send pictures because they can't be read reliably. However, I have one lady who keeps sending me heic files. Adobe Acrobat reads them just fine (not sure about the Reader). Click the file, right-click and choose "open with" Adobe.  

One client would send me everything stapled to a fare-thee-well, until the year (after multiple warnings) I charged him a $50 staple removal fee, so named on the bill. I'm tempted to do likewise with photos of documents.

• Like 4

On 1/29/2024 at 1:04 PM, Lion EA said:

I try to get my clients to use Scannable, a free app that cleans up their scans, removes creases, changes that grainy gray background to white, straightens it out, etc. And, I try to get them to then email it to me instead of text, so I can save it in my computer to their file. Of course, first I tell them to upload to my portal, but as you say, if they can't do it quick and easy on their phone...

I remember reading something from the IRS or maybe in a webinar that we were cautioned to not accept any documents with sensitive information via email or text due o both being unsecure. There was a push for a method of securing your email but I forgot what that was and have advised all of my clients to upload to my portal.

There is an app to convert HEIC files to jpg or Png. I sent my clients a QR code link to Adobe Scan for their phones that work on both iPhone and androids. I agree pictures are garbage and hard to view.

Be careful with cam scanner. Cam Scanner for iPhone is good. However, the cam scanner for androids has been eliminated due to being really unsafe to use.

33 minutes ago, Medlin Software, Dennis said:

Personally, I am not concerned about what a customer does, such as sending me data. I am careful what I do eith their data once I receive it, and spell out my process in my privacy notice.

Really, you don't worry malware that might attached?

I meant I have no liability for the customer sending me an email, or what they choose to send. Of course, I don't open unexpected things, and the things I open, I do so with proper security steps in place.

A customer sending me something bad because of contacting me for help?  Possible, but has not happened yet. I don't overly spend time on worrying about baddies. I prepare for any issue via multiple backups, spare machines, and using my grey matter to control my voice and finger commands.

• Like 1

Even with well-established clients, if one sends me an email with only an attachment and no verbiage, I contact the client via a new email and ask if they sent me something, and what it was they sent, before I'll open it. Also with personal emails. Took one of my cousins a couple of years to (finally!) get the hint and tell me "these are some pictures I took" or "here's a link to an article on topic X" with the original emails. 

• Like 3