ATX Community

NT / Repetitive Strain Injury

RitaB

I have a feeling that I have this problem, repetitive STRAIN (not stain, oops) injury, and just wanted to encourage everyone to take frequent breaks from the computer and stretch. Here is a link to some stretches that I found:

http://www.rsiwarrior.com/stretches.html

Has anyone here had this problem? I have pain in the entire right side - neck, upper back, arm. I would appreciate hearing your story. I'm (hopefully) going to family doctor next week, and I'm not too confident that she will even know what I'm talking about, but maybe she knows someone who has some expertise in this area.

I don't want to make light of your problem because I know second hand what you are going through (my wife is experiencing a lot of what you mention) but it made me grin when I read your headline. Not sure that is what you had in mind. I believe that is a completely different condition than you describe.

Oh - and my wife's doctor has diagnosed anything from shoulder impingment to arthritis. My wife is on some of her own remedies such as a high dose of fish oil daily as well as the 8 hour Tylenol and I just saw some Synflex hit the mailbox a couple of days ago. She has some very, very good days followed by days of near incapacitation. So get checked out.

I don't want to make light of your problem because I know second hand what you are going through (my wife is experiencing a lot of what you mention) but it made me grin when I read your headline. Not sure that is what you had in mind. I believe that is a completely different condition than you describe.

Haha! I know, I saw that and couldn't figure out how to edit the title. Apparently, I also have a spelling problem. LOL.

I have had three shoulder surgeries: first one to remove a bone spur, second one to manipulate shoulder to break loose scar tissue (frozen shoulder), third one to repair two rotator cuff tears, one biceps tear, and torn cartilage. (I believe all the tears in #3 were either missed or caused by the doctor in #1 and #2.)

Anyway, I think I have also had the RSI all this time, and nobody (not even I) picked up on it.

RCooper, your symptoms sound just like those I experienced for too long. I finally went to my friend, the therapeutic massage therapist, for several sessions. She concentrated on those right side areas and finally got me out of pain.

What has kept me out of pain, however, is having my mouse on the left side of the keyboard. It took some practice but I am more balanced now. I also taught myself in school to use my left hand on a calculator because I thought it inefficient to have to put my pencil down all the time. In addition, I lowered my monitors so that I almost look down and my key board is on a pull out shelf just below my waist.

I saved that url, though, to practice all those exercises. A very timely help as we go into stress mode - thanks!

RCooper, your symptoms sound just like those I experienced for too long. I finally went to my friend, the therapeutic massage therapist, for several sessions. She concentrated on those right side areas and finally got me out of pain.

What has kept me out of pain, however, is having my mouse on the left side of the keyboard. It took some practice but I am more balanced now. I also taught myself in school to use my left hand on a calculator because I thought it inefficient to have to put my pencil down all the time. In addition, I lowered my monitors so that I almost look down and my key board is on a pull out shelf just below my waist.

I saved that url, though, to practice all those exercises. A very timely help as we go into stress mode - thanks!

I have made some attempts at using the mouse left-handed (like when my arm was in a sling from surgeries), but I just now moved it over to the left and will get serious about it. I am ridiculously slow, but I've got to do something.

I have been putting off making an appointment for massage therapy. That's next on my list.

Very smart of you to learn to use a calculator left-handed, BTW.

I call it mouse strain. in fact, while reading that I had to make a conscious effort to bring the mouse towards my body so that my right arm isn't extended. The muscle around my collarbone has been hard as a rock and frozen (and in a lot of pain) lately but if I don't extend it while on the computer, AND remember to stretch, AND do the shoulder rolls my masseuse recommended, and get regular massage it will loosen up.

I used to be able to 10 key with either hand after getting really bad tendinitis when I first started using a computer. Should try it again.

I have had pain on the right side. My doctor said tendinitis and said to take over the counter drugs (tylenol). Saw my Chiropractor and had Graston Therapy. It started to work almost immediately. After 10 sessions I feel 100% better. The therapy was a little painfully but it really worked. Now I get up from the computer about every 2 hours and get a cup of coffee, used the bathroom, take a walk outside, just move around.

I will be looking at that link and some of the exercises for the tax season. Some of the exercises I already do.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Thanks for editing the title, KC.

Here's an observation: from these responses, this appears to be a problem that women experience more than men. Not a scientific study here, mind you, but I wonder if maybe women work differently, or have less muscle tone and that contributes to this, or what?

Here's something I discovered years ago and I think it works great. The attachment lowers the mouse platform so that it sits just above knee level, so I rest my arm on my leg while using the mouse. I can feel the difference in my wrist when I use a mouse that sits on a desktop, so I'm absolutely certain this lowered platform is the best way to use a mouse. I'm referring to the first item: "Mouse Platform, Under-Desk"

http://www.aidata.com.tw/products?c=319

It's also very helpful to untether the mouse by using a wireless mouse - you spend less time trying to accommodate the wire when using the mouse.

They're certainly smarter than we are. That's why they outlive us! :~)

taxbilly

Reminds me of a joke I heard:

Q: Why do men die before women?

A: Because they want to.

John, thanks for your input, too. I am feeling better just thinking there is some help out there for me!

I will be looking at that link and some of the exercises for the tax season. Some of the exercises I already do.

I made the page one of my two home pages so I am constantly reminded to stretch. Otherwise, I completely lose track of time, and I've worked all day all tensed up.