ATX Community

inherited 401K owns business

Taxpayer's father set up taxpayers business inside his 401K.  Business is run as a C-corp.  No real estate involved.  Father died in Nov and now Taxpayer is beneficiary of this 401K.  401K has some stock assets of other companies - like normal.  And owns this business.  At Dec 31, 2022 the Corp had retained earnings of 30K.  I'm thinking we need to do an accounting thru DOD and find the value at DOD, which won't be a whole lot different.  

So then what?  Can he take distribution of the business and roll over the other assets to his own retirement account.  Does this retirement account need to be a 401K or can it be a Roth? Or does he just leave stuff as is and take the 10 years to deal with it.  

Any thoughts on this will be much appreciated.  I'm kinda treading.

• Confused 1

ROBS. Or, are ROBS only within IRAs? Too complex and scary for me. If you make one misstep, you disallow the entire retirement account. And, now inherited. Wow! I think you have a big, hopefully very profitable, summer project.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

ROBS. Or, are ROBS only within IRAs? Too complex and scary for me. If you make one misstep, you disallow the entire retirement account. And, now inherited. Wow! I think you have a big, hopefully very profitable, summer project.

Agreed.  ROBS.  Must follow the requirements very carefully.  Agree with a big, very profitable summer project.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randall said:

I can't imagine this.  What will people think of next.

Before IRA enforcement was a real thing - client bought a "bond" for his IRA from a company with a 30% interest rate. He owned the company so it resulted in basically no profit for the business and a massive contribution to his IRA. He found an attorney to process it all for him and then bragged he had a multi million dollar IRA.

There was a thread here several years ago about ROBS.  It was during an economic down turn, ('08 or '09?), and people, who lost their jobs, were using 401Ks to fund start-ups.

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember that the rules were (maybe) more restrictive than like/kind exchanges.  But there might have been recommendations of companies that dealt with them specifically.

• Like 1