ATX Community

For Ca Preparers - Tax Refunds

JRS

Tax refunds will be delayed

State Controller John Chiang announced today that he will delay paying tax refunds for at least 30 days.

With no money in the State's General Fund for the past 17 months, the state has been paying its bills by borrowing internally from special funds and from Wall Street. The Controller estimates those funds will soon be exhausted, and the State will be at least $346 million short in February.

"Delaying these payments will get us through the next few months, but it will not solve the problem," according to Controller Chiang.

If no corrective action is taken by the Governor and Legislature, the Controller may have to extend delays in payments, or issue IOUs.

- wait until the news programs get a hold of that mother of 3 barely able to survive as it is and now California is with holding money / food from her children. That will stir up an out cry.

Sadly, our local paper will go out and find a young lady, slightly over weight, drinking her Pepsi and smoking her cigarette in her very cluttered and very small apartment, with her three children in the background. They have done it before and all the sympathy that should have went out, went right down the drain with the number of subscriptions the paper lost.

Let's assume that CA doesn't issue the tax refunds until late 2009. What I would advise employed

people to do now would be to change their CA withholding certificates and have the MINIMUM amount

withheld (whatever the minimum is).

If CA is in financial trouble NOW, wait till they see the tax remittances go way down throughout

the year.

I saw one article using the figure of ~850 being the average CA refund for individuals. Instead of loaning CA the money through over withholding, what about lowering your withholding by your last year's refund? I just don't get using a tax payment as a no interest savings account. I'd rather have just enough withheld to avoid penalty, and pay a little on filing if I have to.

I guess my point is anyone complaining about needing their refund should have looked at their withholding, especially since the CA budget "crisis" is not "news". They may enjoy more regular income over getting their earnings months later.

The real pain is for those depending on a state funded check, like foster parents!

>>The real pain is for those depending on a state funded check<<

I had no idea I was causing such pain. I plead guilty to failure to pay estimates and plan to buck up the state treasury by a couple of grand in early April. It's the least I can do for the Bear Flag Republic.

NY had money problems a few years back and delayed refunds until 1 April when their fiscal year began. Some NYer can jump in and correct the details, but my commuter clients were not happy. A CT resident who commutes to NY to work can get over-withheld in NY and owe CT. So, those that got their information together to file fast expecting that big NY refund in hand before they had to write out a check to pay CT were not happy campers that year.