ATX Community

SS# Child born December 2008

Jack from Ohio

That did not work either. I really don't want to call customer service, but if they changed it, how would we know?

I believe they have to have the SS# in order to file. According to instructions it only takes about 2 weeks to get a SS# assigned. It does say if you will not have the SS# before the due date to file an extension.

The mother might be able to go by the local SSA office if possible, and get the number through them. Look at the chart at this link,

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cf...amp;p_topview=1

PA average time to get it is 3 weeks. Best if they wait the extra time, in most cases. Option is to file without the child and get the bulk of the refund, if there are other kids, then amend after they get that refund, and claim the extra child. That is only wise if they get most of the refund without the kid. If this is the first child, and without a child they get, say, $800 back, but with the child they get CTC and EIC and get back $3K+, then it would be better to wait for the number, because amended returns are processed much later than the first filing.

There was a situation a few years ago where Social Security had not updated IRS master file for some # of weeks and IRS was rejecting a large number of returns for no matching SSN. Since it has not been very long that the SSN was issued I would think SS has not updated the IRS master file.

I am assuming that there is a SS number in hand.

Karen

Thank You everyone for your answers. Child was born 12/08/08. It USED to be that you could enter "Applied" and it would be accepted. That is how long it has been since I dealt with a client with a brand new baby.

I did find the information in the instructions for 1040. Here is the text, and it does not mention any way of filing without the SS#...

<<<Social security number. You must enter each dependent's social security number (SSN). Be sure the name and SSN entered agree with the dependent's social security card. Otherwise, at the time we process your return, we may disallow the exemption claimed for the dependent and reduce or disallow any other tax benefits (such as the child tax credit) based on that dependent. If the name or SSN on the dependent's social security card is not correct, call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213.

If your dependent will not have a number by the date your return is due, see What if you cannot claim that Cannot File on Time? on page 7.>>>