ATX Community

NT / My New Policy

RitaB

I have soooo had it with people who, when you call and leave them a message that their tax return is done, call you right back and ask "what's the amount of my refund?" (OK, it's technically not a "refund" since YOU didn't pay in.)

Anyway, when that happens, I'm going to put them on hold, go check the mail, brush my teeth, do someone else's return, etc. before I tell them the refund amount. They ARE COMING in 15 minutes anyway to sign the e-file form and pick up their copy of the return. Geez...

Just now, I had a caller to ask me if I had had a chance to do his return (another EIC person). He JUST brought it Friday. There it goes, to the bottom of the pile.

I am soooo happy that I don't have any clients like that. I've been fortunate in my practice. I think I've had one person who didn't know she qualified for EIC until I told her and that was just one bad year. And none of my clients ever call to ask when it will be done, etc. If that did happen, I like your response!

The people that do call in and ask those silly questions - do you find that they are the younger crowd? Aged 18-30? Single parents and/or both parents receiving support from the state? A group that is collecting unemployment, etc?

NO........they come in all shapes, sizes and ages and tax brackets of inconsiderate and impatient clients.

NO........they come in all shapes, sizes and ages and tax brackets of inconsiderate and impatient clients.

I agree that I have some really inconsiderate folks of all ages and incomes. But, it does seem to me that PITA issues (like impatience) are more prevalent from the EIC crowd. The sense of entitlement with many (certainly not all) in this group amazes me. It carries over to the preparer. I mean, we are supposed to drop everything to take care of some people.

One young lady, single with two kids, came in Friday with only unemployment income. She always get huge EIC. I told her there would be no EIC if no "earnings." She says, "Well, I wish I had known that. I would have worked." I think she was mad at ME about it!

Thankfully, I have some really awesome clients who are VERY appreciative and patient. It helps when one of them comes in. Makes my day!

I have soooo had it with people who, when you call and leave them a message that their tax return is done, call you right back and ask "what's the amount of my refund?" (OK, it's technically not a "refund" since YOU didn't pay in.)

Anyway, when that happens, I'm going to put them on hold, go check the mail, brush my teeth, do someone else's return, etc. before I tell them the refund amount. They ARE COMING in 15 minutes anyway to sign the e-file form and pick up their copy of the return. Geez...

Just now, I had a caller to ask me if I had had a chance to do his return (another EIC person). He JUST brought it Friday. There it goes, to the bottom of the pile.

I think you need a cookie or some ice cream.

I think you need a cookie or some ice cream.

Haha! Actually, when I got home, I fixed snow cream with my kids AND had cookies! They (the kids, not the cookies), are 20, 17, and 15. They were so excited about the snow cream you would swear they were preschoolers.

Wow. Great reminder of what's important!

Snow cream? Is that the same thing as ice cream just made from good 'ole snow? I've just never heard it called snow cream, but if that's what it is, I know what you mean! I'm 27 and I'd get excited as @#$% if I could get a big bowl of home-made ice cream! We made it a few times back in Chemistry class and I remember the days as if they were yesterday..