ATX Community

EIN NUMBER ON w2

mcb39

Client has four W2s, so, of course, I don't know which one it is. I have deleted them all and re-entered data. Still comes back rejected. Is there somewhere to go to find out how to match EINs with Employers.; such as E-services? Thanks for any info.

Best bet is to has TP verify all W-2's with employers, if this TP is a prior year client, check to see if he had the same employment in the priors years and verify the EIN.

Thanks for responding. This is a 19 year old kid who was someone else's dependent last year. I don't even recognize the names of some of these employers; some I have tried to match with other clients who did work for the same places. I will have to aske the young man to "go search" but don't expect good results.

I vaguely remember something about a W-2 from a new employer, EIN issued within the year, disqualifying a return for e-file.

True, but you wouldn't get the number doesn't match reject. You'd get the EIN issued in current year reject instead. 0502 for a mismatch, 0505 if the EIN is issued in the current processing year.

If I get a return like that where after a couple days the taxpayer still doesn't have the information to get it through, I'll often suggest paper filing. I always try to get them to adjust their withholding to prevent huge refunds so hopefully it's a prior client that listened to me (yeah right) and is getting only a small refund which they're OK with waiting on.

The error code will have: Occurence #X Field X

The occurence will tell you which W-2 it is in the order in which you have them in the program.

The field # will identify exactly which field is incorrect.

Here is the pub that has EVERY code, and a picture of EVERY for with fields identified.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1345a.pdf

I have printed copies of the most used forms beside my computer for easy reference. This allow you to determine exactly which form, or more commonly, which child has been claimed on another return.

Huge resource.

In Florida if it's a corporation or llc one can go to the state sight and enter the ein number to get he name.

taxbilly

Thanks so much for your suggestions. This is my only reject to date and is distressing. I know I can paper file, but I am the person who wants to "fix" it. Thanks again.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. This is my only reject to date and is distressing. I know I can paper file, but I am the person who wants to "fix" it. Thanks again.

I e-mailed the WI DOR and a very nice gentleman is going to check them all out for me. I sent him the one that I thought it might and I was wrong so he told me to send him the rest. Will let all of you know.

Client has four W2s, so, of course, I don't know which one it is. I have deleted them all and re-entered data. Still comes back rejected. Is there somewhere to go to find out how to match EINs with Employers.; such as E-services? Thanks for any info.

FYI: I got it solved but not to my satisfaction. First went to WI because they were all WI companies. State verified that all EINs were correct. Refiled; rejected again. Filed WI alone; accepted. This AM I called the IRS e-file Authorized Profiders\EROs. Talked to a very nice gentleman. Turns out that W2 #4 which is the one that I suspected is not in their database. I asked him if it is because it is a new Co and he said probably, but reject code would not indicate that. I will have to paper file Federal.....