ATX Community

Does family do this to you?

Teri2414

Am I the only one with family members that think they come above and before everyone else? As it is I charge family a tad less and mom-in-law nothing...i've had over 200 people come thru the door (it's just me) in 6 wks...why do they think they have special priviledges?....

Am I the only one with family members that think they come above and before everyone else? As it is I charge family a tad less and mom-in-law nothing...i've had over 200 people come thru the door (it's just me) in 6 wks...why do they think they have special priviledges?....

Oh, yeah. Some in my family want to drop off at my house. (I have an office in town.) They also want to call me at home with questions. I don't let them. It is bad enough that they get the world's lowest rate - they are not coming to my house with their taxes, too. Thanksgiving and Christmas are enough.

I visit my mom each day for a few minutes, and she lives just around the corner. It gives me a small break. Brother lives next door to her. His wife brings their tax info over there, or she has also interrupted Sunday dinner with it also. Clueless!

No I don't ask her or want her to interrupt the family dinner. I can't stop her from knocking on my mother's door uninvited. She just stops by unannounced and leaves the folder without having a discussion with me. But I still think it's pretty rude.

Nice looking dog there - I have an 11yr old epileptic dalmatian and an 8 yr old beagle with an ear infection..I put the dal in his kennel in the back hall along with the extremely friendly cats - if I can catch them... And there are still those who come to the plain decrepit back door...

I stopped doing immediate family a long time ago. It just wasn't worth the hassle. I only do a few cousins returns now. I give them a family rate but everyone else in the family, I just say, sorry I'm too busy.

I don't blame you one bit! When my mother-in-law passed away, my husband's sister asked if I did estate returns. "Not this one," I said.

I don't have any trouble with doing family members' returns, but one former co-worker who is now 87-years old is becoming a problem. He used to be extremely intelligent but with age he seems too confused to be able to understand what he needs to do. I sent him some 8879s including one 8879-F. He returned the 8879s but didn't recognize the 8879-F since it looked a little different. Later he called and said he found it, but only mailed the other two. Also he did not mail his check for my low, low special fee I gave him since we were long-time friends.

I try to get the freebies to be on extension. But, now son's girlfriend wants to fund her IRA with her refund. And, son was buying property so needed return for bank and couldn't wait. And, they live in another state, so research involved. And both son and daughter have amendments that have to be done by 15 April (they're for 2005) to get their refunds. And, son and girlfriend formed two LLCs with, I think, two members each! I'd put those off until after tax season, but I need the K-1s. Girlfriends parents own an inn and let us stay free, so saying no is too hard.

my roommates each have one W-2, and one got a tiny bit of EIC and the other has an IRA contribution (good girl! she's only 21 and started the IRA at 19). They get done really fast, really early. My ex husband gets a work up and an extension (and this year he has about 6 more rentals and a resident alien wife with no ITIN; told him not to hold his breath waiting for the refund!)

Sister-in-Law's dependent (aka deadbeat) boyfriend told me at MY MOTHER-IN-LAW'S FUNERAL that he thought the law had NOT changed, and that GF could file as HOH. OK, so out of work BF keeps up with tax laws. Guess he's too qualified for this job market.

On second thought, BF is watching TV and eating Cheetos all day while GF and I work. Maybe he IS the smart one.