ATX Community

Yep, In over my head again

Karen Lee

I have a 1099-B for $1,089,436.00, purchases of $1,521,872.57.

Actual out of pocket $106,500.00 with money back of $9,741.86

1099-B would include realized and unrealized losses however I don't know how to report this on Sch D.

All short term

Various buy and sell dates

Please help!!!

Karen

People who speculate on commodities often sell short, so there may be sales that are outstanding short sales for which there is no purchase transaction.

Also, to keep things confusing, people trade on a very small margin, so you buy $ 100,000 worth of pork bellies for a deposit/margin of 5% --so if the price goes down 5% you lose your whole investment, but if it goes up 5% you double your money.

The broker should also provide a statement showing the actual net results.

Report each sale on each date and match up the corresponding purchase date and price from your client's records or the year-end statement if everything was purchased during 2008. Your total sales proceeds should add up to the $1 mil plus amount on the 1099-B. He may have invested only $100,000+ initially, but you said there are many buy and sell dates. He bought $100,000+ of something(s) and then sold some/all and bought something else or more of the same and sold and bought and sold and...until he'd sold over a million dollars worth of whatever. Of course, he also bought. Line up each sale and let your software do the math.