ATX Community

ATX Program Question

Denise

Being way over there in Pittsburgh, if you find yourself with many Ohio clients, it might be worth the savings in time to spend on software that will perform as you wish. During the off-season, look at demos that might fit your needs. Maybe, you could buy as pay-per-return for that subset of your clients and keep ATX for less complex clients.

What I do is look at the MFJ vs MFS federal worksheet and have created a mini-spreadsheet to input the F and S details to reflect the Ohio tax situation. At the bottom I input the federal tax for joint and see the total liabilities for federal and Ohio. Sometimes it may be better to split but not cost effective to pay for my time.

To split, I duplicate the return and delete one of the spouses information and split deductions as appropriate (having coded everything F, S or J already). It doesn't take too much time for me for the few clients that actually benefit. I have used software in the past that made the split automatically but still had to go back and check everything.

Does anyone know if there is a way in ATX to enter all the information for MFJ and then have the program separate it to MFS? This makes sense for an Ohio filing and would save some time.

Thanks in advance!

Denise

THERE Is a tab under forms/planning that will sort of split a return from married to mfs but only does federal and doesnt split the actual return so if you go withthe mfs you have to re-enter the info.

What works for me is to create the MFJ return, then duplicate it 2x - in duplicate #1 make it MFS for TP and in duplicate #2 make it MFS for SP. If you enter the tabs for "F" "S" and "J" on the original, it also makes the task easier.

Does anyone know if there is a way in ATX to enter all the information for MFJ and then have the program separate it to MFS? This makes sense for an Ohio filing and would save some time.

Thanks in advance!

Denise

Ah, HV Ken, we do the same thing. I always roll over the MFJ return the following year, too, because it often changes year to year. That way, too, I have a good record of the consequences should any questions arise. And with the duplication feature, it's really pretty quick and easy. Just be sure to label the returns so you know who's who!

Ah, HV Ken, we do the same thing. I always roll over the MFJ return the following year, too, because it often changes year to year. That way, too, I have a good record of the consequences should any questions arise. And with the duplication feature, it's really pretty quick and easy. Just be sure to label the returns so you know who's who!

I do the same thing here