ATX Community

Alternative Software

taxxcpa

Your comments have increased my interest in TaxSlayer Pro. It has also received some very favorable commens over on the TaxBook board. The price seems reasonable, and you make a strong case for the company - especially the fact that it is run by tax pros. I'm going to request their demo and try it out on a few extension returns. Any suggestions or shortcuts on how to get up & running in the minimum of time?

They (Gina Purkey or Nick) will send you this year 2006 program. Configure (install) it to your liiking. Pick 2 or 4 sampling of your returns and do them. Call the help line for assistance. or Use the help feauture written into the program. Ask about their conversion program. Enter the personal info first and then you can g0 to the 1040 and click on the space for what you need.

I downloaded the 2005, (TaxSlayer) program, but would much rather have the 2006 to do some extension returns on it. Right now I'm debating whether to go with Max or a different program altogether. Definitely will not be using 1040 Office any longer due to efiling costs. With shipping and handling + efiling cost the price could be just under $2000 for 1040 Office.

Eli

I spoke with them this AM & got the username & password problem straigtened out in about a minute.

Download took 30 minutes with DSL, and the install was about 8 minutes.

After a reboot, it was ready to run - fully funcional 2006 program.

Will be out of the office the rest of today, but I plan to run a couple of test returns this PM or tomorrow.

I did enter a simple return just to get a feel for it how it functions. At first blush it looks OK.

Can anyone tell me if there is a simple way to toggle between the form and the input screen while entering data, or is it always necessary to exit the input screen and then go through the intermediate steps to display the form? The form looks a little cheesy on the screen, but as long as it prints OK (which it does) that's not a big deal for me.

Anyone that is thinking about TaxAct and works out of Ohio, Taxact wouldn't be the software for you. I tried it a couple of years ago during the summer. They don't support School district returns ,or the city returns that most residents of Ohio have.

Last year , I tried Drake out during the summer. I had a problem, in the way that passive losses would roll over to an individual return. I called Drake's software people. They at first said there was no problem, but later got a call from them, stating there indeed was a glitch in the software and they would get it correcte. Also, they had some problems with the generic form for some city returns.

Overall, I liked their software, and will probably change over . I didn't like the way atx dropped the community late in the season, along with the price increase.

I have used ATX since 1998 and concerned about the possible elimination of ATX within CCH. I worked with ProSystems at an accounting firm & hated it. I have really enjoyed using MAX which makes it hard to switch at this point. Once the buyout was announced, I thought I'd have at least 2 tax years ('06 & '07) before a switch. My price for MAX is unchanged for 2007 so I may renew, but I'm going to explore other programs like Drake, TaxSlayer, and TaxAct. I had my best year ever and I don't want to re-key all 165 of my returns into a new program. I just do this on the side and time wasted re-entering returns is not worth the $200-$300 price difference. My sanity is worth that much.

It upsets me the ATX Communities was taken away without notice & it does cause me some concern over MAX's future. I did the PRS in 2004 thinking I might save a few bucks....NOT!! Ended up with an busy year & more fees. Never will do PRS for any software ever again. I like having the convenience of all the forms MAX provides and it's going to take one good offer & program to make the switch 1 year early.

Thank you for this board!!!

Scott_P

I just had a call from Tax Refund Express. It is an alliance of tax professionals. With your membership you get software for anything and everything you would need to do. Unlimited returns for 1040, all business, payroll, free e-filing.

The regular renewal price is $ 499.00 + 29.95 shipping. Chad offered it to me a first time user for $ 299.00 + 29.95 shipping. The software is Orrtax. He is sending me a fully operational CD of the 2006 program. Will be doing my extensions on it.

I will report how it goes when I get it.

Marge Powell

PS the web site is: http://www.trxalliance.com

I just tried out Tax Slayer Pro. Cost is only $795, including e-filing.

It is not a program I will have at the top of my "alternative to ATX" list.

Information is entered using input screens that leaves you wondering if you left something out or overlooked a deduction or an adjustment (especially when going to the State returns). I could not locate screens for MA Nonresident Social Security adjustments and the companies' technical support never found it. My faith in the program quickly dwindled after that experience.

The meu at the top of the program did not show an option for "Form finder" that their technical support said she be available to locate forms. I was able to open the option by moving the mouse to the upper right corner but the form finder only lists forms. This is not helpful if you are preparing a nonresident return and are unfamiliar with all of thie forms. How would you know which one to open?

I prefer a program that allows me to view the actual form and be able to click a line to go to a worksheet.

I am also looking at Drake and have some issues with their input screens but will hold off on an evaluation until I contact their technical support for some help.

For what it's worth, I did find a couple of ways to look at the form while working in an input screen. The shortest routes I've been able to find so far are these:

1) When you are in the screen they call the "Hub", you will see choices in the upper-left corner numbered 1-13. Clicking on #11 (View Results) takes you to a "Select Form/Schedule to View". Selecting the form you are interested in will then display the form. Getting out of the form screen involves either clicking "File" + "Exit" or else presing "esc". This operation only takes you back to the "Select Forms" screen, which must then be exited. if you want to end up back at the "Hub". Since the "Hub" is essentially the 1040 summary, I don't know why they don't provide an icon to enable you to jump directly to the 1040 and back to the "Hub" with a single mouse click each direction.

2) If you are working on the input screen for a PARTICULAR FORM, there is an icon for "View Form" which you can click. This takes you directly to the form associated with that screen. Again, exiting requires the same multiple steps as above.

When viewing the form, I did find it a little cumbersome that a multi-page form cannot be navigated by scrolling. You have to use "Page Up" & "Page Down" to move from page-to-page.

None of these is a big deal in and of itself, but it definitely affects how you move around within the return, especially for someone like me who uses the wheel mouse for much of my navigating. Anynow, I can't find any method enabling a simple toggle back & forth which works with forms.

For what it's worth, I did find a couple of ways to look at the form while working in an input screen. The shortest routes I've been able to find so far are these:

1) When you are in the screen they call the "Hub", you will see choices in the upper-left corner numbered 1-13. Clicking on #11 (View Results) takes you to a "Select Form/Schedule to View". Selecting the form you are interested in will then display the form. Getting out of the form screen involves either clicking "File" + "Exit" or else presing "esc". This operation only takes you back to the "Select Forms" screen, which must then be exited. if you want to end up back at the "Hub". Since the "Hub" is essentially the 1040 summary, I don't know why they don't provide an icon to enable you to jump directly to the 1040 and back to the "Hub" with a single mouse click each direction.

2) If you are working on the input screen for a PARTICULAR FORM, there is an icon for "View Form" which you can click. This takes you directly to the form associated with that screen. Again, exiting requires the same multiple steps as above.

When viewing the form, I did find it a little cumbersome that a multi-page form cannot be navigated by scrolling. You have to use "Page Up" & "Page Down" to move from page-to-page.

None of these is a big deal in and of itself, but it definitely affects how you move around within the return, especially for someone like me who uses the wheel mouse for much of my navigating. Anynow, I can't find any method enabling a simple toggle back & forth which works with forms.

I received my Drake demo today and I am about to install it. Meanwhile, in the package of "stuff" that came with the demo is a "Quick Reference Guide." That guide suggests to "view" a return use the hot keys [Ctrl]+[V] and to return to data entry from the "view" or "Print" mode use [Ctrl]+[E]. Let me know if it works for you. If you didn't get the "Quick reference Guide" I can scan it in and send it to you, let me know.