ATX Community

E-File Status "Duplicated"

samingeorgia

OK, this is a new one for me. I submitted a simple return, SS income, a W-2, a K-1 from a trust and itemized deductions. The only quirk is that I used a direct deposit bank account that T/P shares with another family member whose return has already been e-filed and accepted.

Is this a problem? Do I need to fix this? How?

I believe that the problem is with the bank account. I seem to remember that it is not allowed to use the same account for direct deposits from 2 different returns in the same year. Try changing to another account or have a check issued and that should correct the problem.

"Duplicated" means that your DCN number has at some point been duplicated for this return. Here's what you need to do.

Go into Preparer Manager, and click on the Efile tab. In the DCN counter box, set the counter to 20 digits higher than what it's currently set at. For example, if your DCN counter says "17," set it to 37. In the DCN Max box, set it to a high number that you're not going to reach - if you're going to do 800 efiles this season, set it to 1000. If you're transmitting from multiple computers (which I don't recommend) then do the same on the second computer but change the numbers to 1001 and 2000, etc.

Once you've done that in Preparer Manager, go over to E-File Manager, delete the efiles that say "duplicated," reopen the return, recreate the efile, and retransmit.

So, what are the range of numbers you can use for this? I keep getting this on about one out of five returns.

Interestingly, one of the returns I got a "Duplicated" message I realized would be a problem as soon as I pressed transmit. The wife's name was entered as "Suzy" when I knew that her true first name was "Mary" (I've known her since she was a kid). It came back as Duplicated and when I recreated with "Mary" as the name it went right through.

I got a duplicated reject this morning and I'll bet a nickel that the new wife's name is wrong; going to call the client this morning.

I do work a few days at a colleague's office and efile from there, of course using my EFIN. As far as I know, they haven't had any rejects. Any suggestions?

The wife's name may be wrong but that wouldn't cause the duplicated status. You can use a range of numbers between 1 and 99999. What I'd recommend doing is taking a look at your current DCN Counter, adding 100 to that number and keying it in, and then changing your DCN MAX counter to 10,000 (unless you've filed 10,000 efiles, which is rare and in that case I'd recommend putting in 20,000).

• 1 year later...

Snipped to save bandwidth

If you're transmitting from multiple computers (which I don't recommend) then do the same on the second computer but change the numbers to 1001 and 2000, etc.

Snipped to save bandwidth

May I ask WHY you don't recommend e-filing from multiple computers?

We're currently using ProSeries and are seriously considering switching to ATX - we actually used it WAY back when it was Sabre! It was a decent program back then but would not handle the complex returns we acquired when we bought a retiring CPA's practice, so we switched to ProSeries (TurboTax PRO back then).

We have one "office" with two owners and one tax season full timer (who's part-time from 05/01 - 12/31). My partner and I also load the software on our home computers so we can work from home when necessary - usually one day a week during tax season (to get away from the phones and office distractions) and 2-3 days a week from May through December, and during foul weather and whenever one of is sick.

With ProSeries we simply change the DCN counter start number for A) the office; B) my house; & C) my partner's house. That way when working at home we can e-file directly from those computers.

Does ATX work in a similar fashion? I've spoken to them and they said that I'd need to purchase a second license and get a second ERO number. The IRS doesn't require me to have a second ERO number - we're just one firm, one company filing from different locations as the need arises. FYI it is NOT possible for me to remote in to the office system from my home. I live in the sticks and cannot get a hard line for the net to my house so I have a satellite for my internet. It works OK most of the time but the uplink is slow and remoting in is tedious and tiresome. So I NEED to be able to e-file from a second location.

Any guidance or advice would be appreciated.

May I ask WHY you don't recommend e-filing from multiple computers?

We're currently using ProSeries and are seriously considering switching to ATX - we actually used it WAY back when it was Sabre! It was a decent program back then but would not handle the complex returns we acquired when we bought a retiring CPA's practice, so we switched to ProSeries (TurboTax PRO back then).

We have one "office" with two owners and one tax season full timer (who's part-time from 05/01 - 12/31). My partner and I also load the software on our home computers so we can work from home when necessary - usually one day a week during tax season (to get away from the phones and office distractions) and 2-3 days a week from May through December, and during foul weather and whenever one of is sick.

With ProSeries we simply change the DCN counter start number for A) the office; B) my house; & C) my partner's house. That way when working at home we can e-file directly from those computers.

Does ATX work in a similar fashion? I've spoken to them and they said that I'd need to purchase a second license and get a second ERO number. The IRS doesn't require me to have a second ERO number - we're just one firm, one company filing from different locations as the need arises. FYI it is NOT possible for me to remote in to the office system from my home. I live in the sticks and cannot get a hard line for the net to my house so I have a satellite for my internet. It works OK most of the time but the uplink is slow and remoting in is tedious and tiresome. So I NEED to be able to e-file from a second location.

Any guidance or advice would be appreciated.

ATX works the same way and I do recommend that you do it because it works flawleesly.

Bob Hoffman

We have a network with 10 workstations. I am in charge of the e-filing of all returns. I have done sending, correcting, retrieving acks from all the workstations as well as the main server. The only difference is the speed at which the program handles the task. It works faster on the server (pretty obvious) but I have had NO issues with e-filing from multiple computers on my network.

Anyone who is having issues with ATX on a server based network may feel free to contact me through here. I have been maintaining this network with ATX since Feb 2004. I have probably experienced and worked through every possible network problem there is.

This year... NO NETWORK PROBLEMS AT ALL!! There were some issues with acks from CCH, but NONE with my network.

This year we have transmitted 5,349 e-file files. Approx 2,675 returns so far and a few hundred left with extensions.

Let me know if I can help.

• 2 months later...

We have a network with 10 workstations. I am in charge of the e-filing of all returns. I have done sending, correcting, retrieving acks from all the workstations as well as the main server. The only difference is the speed at which the program handles the task. It works faster on the server (pretty obvious) but I have had NO issues with e-filing from multiple computers on my network.

Anyone who is having issues with ATX on a server based network may feel free to contact me through here. I have been maintaining this network with ATX since Feb 2004. I have probably experienced and worked through every possible network problem there is.

This year... NO NETWORK PROBLEMS AT ALL!! There were some issues with acks from CCH, but NONE with my network.

This year we have transmitted 5,349 e-file files. Approx 2,675 returns so far and a few hundred left with extensions.

Let me know if I can help.

If I want to use multipe computers on the network, do I need to buy multi-user license?

If I want to use multipe computers on the network, do I need to buy multi-user license?

The single license will allow up to three preparers. (3 different PTINs)

If you have more than 3 preparers signing returns, you will need the multiple license.

If you have 3 or less preparers, you do not need the multiple license. The program will install on the network or a single machine. It will ask you when you install it.