ATX Community

Tax Program Running Very Slow

joelgilb

Wondering if anyone else is having this problem

Trying to do extension and finding the client files loading extremely slow, some taking as much as 10 minutes. Even simple return files and all with no information.

All do not have my preparer info flowing over form last year or this year again, although the preferences are checked correctly

Very Frustrating!

Actually, Joel, it''s not really the programmers fault. Not really. See, we all want the computer to do things fast, and we hop around a lot, because we use the computer for a lot of different things. So, to make it faster to reload a program, for example, when you open your email, then close it, it leaves a little 'tag' running, to make it faster to open it back up. This is because the general public wants it to open fast.

Problem is, as we open and close files, returns, for example, and email, and research programs, etc, almost all of them leave these tags behind, and after a while, those things intended to make our use easier and faster actually start slowing us down because there are so many open. Rebooting closes them all, and gives us back the memory we had tied up in those little place-marks.

I've gotten in the habit or closing and rebooting most times when I take a bathroom break or lunch break, etc. It really does help the speed.

Actually, Joel, it''s not really the programmers fault. Not really. See, we all want the computer to do things fast, and we hop around a lot, because we use the computer for a lot of different things. So, to make it faster to reload a program, for example, when you open your email, then close it, it leaves a little 'tag' running, to make it faster to open it back up. This is because the general public wants it to open fast.

Problem is, as we open and close files, returns, for example, and email, and research programs, etc, almost all of them leave these tags behind, and after a while, those things intended to make our use easier and faster actually start slowing us down because there are so many open. Rebooting closes them all, and gives us back the memory we had tied up in those little place-marks.

I've gotten in the habit or closing and rebooting most times when I take a bathroom break or lunch break, etc. It really does help the speed.

BUT KC

I am an old DOS user, from the days of the first Microsoft (actually prior to) operating system and the first IBM PC.

Antique of a machine. No graphics. I multitasked with something called Desqview. Software was portable and didn't have this bloated registry crap. you copied onto a floppy (5 1/4") and then just copied it back to your hard disk to reinstall.

And the Software FLEW! Everything was written in assembler without all the overhead and crap of today!

The software on my first 8088 PC never kept me waiting for it even when I multitasked with 4 or 5 programs open. And if one program became unstable and I admit it did, it was the only one the needed to be shut down. I credit QEMM and Desqview for this.

Microsoft in my opinion = CRAP!

Try Ubuntu, Red Hat or any of the other LINUX operating systems and see if you have the same problems as MS

Oh, I'm not arguing with that, Joel. I too started with DOS, in fact, I started with a used 'demo' DEC Rainbow, and no manuals, just some programs that were thrown in with it. Had to teach myself DOS. Was good experience, and started my love for the darn machines.

I agree that Windows is full of crap. But the public loves that stuff. I resisted Windows tax software until they simply stopped offering it. DOS version was much faster. But of course, back then everything was printed, no efile, no INTERNET research, etc. My point was just that knowing how it works, I've learned to do a few things that do help, like rebooting. Also, I keep my email open rather than close it and reopen all the time. Mostly tho, I just live with it. One of the big differences that we have to recognize, tho, is how many things we use the computer for now, that did not exist 'back in the day.' When we just used it as a multifunction accounting and printing machine, it was faster because it was not doing all the other things they are doing now, like INTERNET connections, links to weather.com and no telling how many other useful things. They keep up with our faxes, our mail, our appointments, our phone books, etc, all while also doing tax returns that are a LOT more complex today than back in the 60s and 70s.

Oh, I'm not arguing with that, Joel. I too started with DOS, in fact, I started with a used 'demo' DEC Rainbow, and no manuals, just some programs that were thrown in with it. Had to teach myself DOS. Was good experience, and started my love for the darn machines.

I remember the Dec Rainbow all too well. Also remember convertng the DOS version of multiplan to run on it.

And how about the "Sinclair"

My first computer was a PC clone my then-husband bought in Singapore and lugged home. It had two floppy drives, so you could load your operating system in one and your program in the other and not have to swap disks until you were ready to save data. No hard drive. Small, monotone monitor. Computer is long gone, but I'm sitting here at the old but very solid computer desk from J.C. Penney's. (I have a new husband, too!)

I also learned computer tax prep on DOS. It was Turbo Tax and this was after years of pencil, pen and carbon paper. My first and most glorious update was a copy machine. Hubby thought I was crazy. My first personal computer (which is still in the basement and still works) was an IBM PS1. Had 25 Mhz Clock speed, 8K Ram and a 129 mb hard drive, which I was assured would be all I would ever need. That was 1993. We foolishly updated that machine to the nth degree.; second hard drive, external CD drive, memory, etc; which means that lots of bucks are sitting in the basement. However, the love affair had begun. With each progressive step., I had to know what, how and why as to the OS.; and the internal operations of the machine. Now, 2 new desktops and 2 laptops later,; technology is leaving me in the dust. I rely more and more on my friend, the guru. On the other hand, he consults with me because I always have the smoothest operating system of any of his clients, because I do my own daily maintenance, updates and BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!!!!! It's been an awesome trip. :wub: