ATX Community

I love my clients...

Catherine

Dropped off forms today to an elderly couple (both in their 90's). The only started coming to me last year -- he had been doing their taxes with pencil and paper (not even a calculator) for decades.

They had a bit of a situation this year with needing to track down basis for a small fund they sold, and their broker faxed me 31 pages of transaction history. I got their basis figured out and it saved them close to a thousand dollars in taxes.

When I did out their bill, I charged them extra for the time it took me to do that basis history. And I felt bad about it, because they're really nice. Not hurting for money, but the dingbat broker should have been able to give them an average cost basis -- all the info was right there.

When he made out my check, he gave me a hundred dollars more than my bill. When I told him he'd got the amount incorrect, he told me that he knew very well what I'd charged, and what it was worth to him that I did that work; please take the check.

Then we regaled each other for the next half-hour with tales of folks who'd done nice things for us for no reason whatsoever.

Catherine

Dropped off forms today to an elderly couple (both in their 90's). The only started coming to me last year -- he had been doing their taxes with pencil and paper (not even a calculator) for decades.

They had a bit of a situation this year with needing to track down basis for a small fund they sold, and their broker faxed me 31 pages of transaction history. I got their basis figured out and it saved them close to a thousand dollars in taxes.

When I did out their bill, I charged them extra for the time it took me to do that basis history. And I felt bad about it, because they're really nice. Not hurting for money, but the dingbat broker should have been able to give them an average cost basis -- all the info was right there.

When he made out my check, he gave me a hundred dollars more than my bill. When I told him he'd got the amount incorrect, he told me that he knew very well what I'd charged, and what it was worth to him that I did that work; please take the check.

Then we regaled each other for the next half-hour with tales of folks who'd done nice things for us for no reason whatsoever.

Catherine

Catherine,

It makes you feel good, doesn't it, when clients recognize the fact that you went the extra mile for them to minimize their tax liability? I have several clients each year that pay me more than I billed them.

Wayne Brasch

Catherine,

It makes you feel good, doesn't it, when clients recognize the fact that you went the extra mile for them to minimize their tax liability? I have several clients each year that pay me more than I billed them.

Wayne Brasch

It sure does make you feel good. More willing to go that extra mile, as well.

Catherine

One of my clients who always pays more than the bill is one of our pastors. When he sends his check, he generally adds about 60% to whatever I charged him. Of course, I always add that much or more to my next church offering, so it just goes round & round.

It feels great to be appreciated.

I have quite a few clients that when it comes time to bill them I

just tell them to give me what they want. They've always given me more than I would have charged them.

But then we have the other side of the spectrum---The ones who demand a lot of time and bulk at

giving you a fair amount.

One of my clients who always pays more than the bill is one of our pastors. When he sends his check, he generally adds about 60% to whatever I charged him. Of course, I always add that much or more to my next church offering, so it just goes round & round.

I have a Priest, who also adds a generous amount to his check and places the check on my desk face down. He is a lot of work, but I enjoy him tremendously and he appreciates me.; and lets me know it. I turn it around by purchasing two ads for a year in his Sunday Bulletin. Yes, it gets to be a game, but so many clients bring such nice things as well as giving "tips" that it rather makes you forget about the ones you would like to see go elsewhere.