ATX Community

NT The Cow and the Ice Cream

kcjenkins

THE COW AND THE ICE CREAM

ONE OF THE BEST EXPLANATIONS OF WHY OBAMA WON THE ELECTION

--From a teacher in the Nashville area

"We are worried about 'the cow' when it is all about the 'Ice Cream.'

The most eye-opening civics lesson I ever had was while teaching third grade this year...

The presidential election was heating up and some of the children showed an interest. I decided we would have an election for a class president. We would choose our nominees. They would make a campaign speech and the class would vote.

To simplify the process, candidates were nominated by other class members. We discussed what kinds of characteristics these students should have. We got many nominations and from those, Jamie and Olivia were picked to run for the top spot. The class had done a great job in their selections. Both candidates were good kids. I thought Jamie might have an advantage because he got lots of parental support. I had never seen Olivia's mother.

The day arrived when they were to make their speeches. Jamie went first. He had specific ideas about how to make our class a better place. He ended by promising to do his very best. Everyone applauded and he sat down.

Now is was Olivia's turn to speak. Her speech was concise. She said, "If you will vote for me, I will give you ice cream."

She sat down. The class went wild. "Yes! Yes! We want ice cream." She surely would say more? She did not have to.

A discussion followed. How did she plan to pay for the ice cream? She wasn't sure. Would her parents buy it or would the class pay for it. She didn't know. The class really didn't care. All they were thinking about was ice cream.

Jamie was forgotten. Olivia won by a landslide.

Every time Barack Obama opened his mouth he offered ice cream and 52 percent of the people reacted like nine year olds. They want ice cream. The other 48 percent know they're going to have to feed the cow and clean up the mess."

This is the ice cream Obama promised us!

Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else.

I watched Letters Home on Veterans' Day. It's a traveling troupe of actors out of Chicago, so if it gets near you do go see them. In 70 minutes the real letters of soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan and mothers of soldiers remind you what's happening. Very powerful.

If anyone is interested in watching a very moving movie that pertains to any war get "Taking Chance" with Kevin Bacon. It is the story of an officer accompanying a soldier's body home. It was beutifully done and a shame that it ever has to happen. A few weeks ago I was at our airport when a plane landed with a soldier's body coming home. It still makes me cry just remembering all the people watching the tarmac out the window silently. This soldier was just now coming home from Viet Nam. This isn't political, just sad.

Bonnie

Oh, but in this case the "what's happening" is not what's happening in D.C. or Iraq at the governmental level, but what's happening to individuals touched by this war: families missing a member temporarily or permanently, teen soldiers watching friends die in their arms and then returning to college or work without anyone around who understands what they went through, a service woman told she doesn't qualify for mental health help due to her tour in a war zone being too short, children not knowing a parent for a couple of years, delays in continuing education or career, the economic ripples while a breadwinner is in the service, etc. Mothers and fathers and sisters and brothers and all of us DO know what's happening on our street, in our town, in our work places. I was in high school and college during Viet Nam and remember classmates in wheelchairs, but also dazed and searching for someone to talk to, a few years older than the rest of us and having gone through things that we didn't even see on TV back then. The real letters of real people remind us that our neighbors might have issues we don't, but that those issues will touch us all in some way.

My husband just got back from Iraq working as a civilian for the military. He worked and talked to many of the military personel over there and he and they are very proud of the work that they are doing over there. Whether we "agree" with the war or not, the simple fact is 9/11 did happen. Our troops, men and women, are over there to make sure that the terrorists are so preoccupied with what the military is doing in their country that they won't have the energy to strike our country again. Sad, to say, but Ft Hood is just a prelude to what will happen in this country if we don't finish what is going on over in Afghanistan and Iraq. Both parties and most Americans have become very "numb" to what has happened in the past and we forget very quickly. This is just my opinion, but I don't like war, but I do want to keep our country and my family safe. We didn't start this, but we do need to finish it or America will look weak and we will be attacked again and again. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving and remembers what this holiday is really about. To be Thankful for our freedoms, family and those who have given the ultimate to allow us to have our freedoms ie: this forum to voice our opinions.

>>the simple fact is 9/11 did happen<<

I certainly wouldn't call that a simple fact. It's just about the most complex thing in my lifetime. But one thing we can say for sure--it simply didn't have anything to do with Iraq.

We could never control international terrorism if we continued to think of it as one great conspiracy. "The terrorists" are not THE enemy. Terrorism is a TACTIC used by a lot of very different enemies, and thank God we finally have a Commander in Chief who understands that.

Yeah, right. I rate him right up there with Jimmy Carter on how well he understands the the threat from a nihilistic Islamic fundamentalist ideology. And so far it appears he's capable of equalling or exceeding Carter's ability to facilitate its expansion. But he isn't alone - there are plenty of people in the US and around the world who continue to bury their heads in the sand.