ATX Community

NT: California planners?

Catherine

Why in the world would anyone want to work with an engineer? They think they are smarter than everybody and they whine about the fee on everything. Oh - maybe that is just my brother in law, the engineer. I don't do his taxes because he thinks he is smarter with turbotax than I am. Ha - he could have gotten it done for free from me and not had to pay intuit - but he is the engineer and he is so smart.

Tom

Lodi, CA

PS - sorry Catherine - I know your post is serious and I shouldn't be joking on it. But I couldn't resist.

Why in the world would anyone want to work with an engineer? They think they are smarter than everybody and they whine about the fee on everything. Oh - maybe that is just my brother in law, the engineer. I don't do his taxes because he thinks he is smarter with turbotax than I am. Ha - he could have gotten it done for free from me and not had to pay intuit - but he is the engineer and he is so smart.

Tom

Lodi, CA

PS - sorry Catherine - I know your post is serious and I shouldn't be joking on it. But I couldn't resist.

I couldn't resist either. The taxes are being done by the engineer himself. He just charged Catherine with the task of looking for a "good financial planner" because the engineer is busy.

SORRY Catherine... I couldn't resist either.

>>They think they are smarter than everybody and they whine about the fee on everything.<<

What's wrong with that? I'm not even an engineer.

Hey, I just remembered that my kid is an engineer. Actually he's a physics engineer. He's got this job at Stanford University in the "Nanofabrication Laboratory." Moon suit stuff. He's says they are building a dark matter detector. I'm not exactly sure what that means but I think it has something to do with why the government is broke.

Hi Catherine,

Although I'm not in the San Francisco area, I am a financial planner in Santa Barbara. I'm a CFP and an EA and have been doing tax and fin planning for about 17 years. If any of your engineers would like a planner about 4 hours south of them, I do have clients all over the US.

Hope tax season goes well for you!

Dan

Thanks for the jokes, everyone; I enjoyed them all. My degree is Earth & Materials Engineering from MIT (a small technical college in Cambridge, MA). And yes, engineers can be a royal pain in the patootie.

These are folks I know through my Varsity team -- they were on the team years after I graduated, but we're all a pretty close-knit bunch. Yes, they do their own taxes. They contacted me with a simple question on Roth conversions but I told them to talk to a planner before jumping in. And since I know so many nice folks through these newsgroups I figured to pass on a couple of names.

So I'll pass on Dan's name and a couple of others I've collected as well. Dan -- I will send you their first names privately so if they call you'll know from where they got your name.

My degree is Earth & Materials Engineering from MIT (a small technical college in Cambridge, MA

This just keeps getting funnier. Thanks for the comic relief.

BTW, my youngest son (age 13) has aspirations on that little po-dunk college in Cambridge. I keep telling him he better be real smart and get a scholarship because daddy has a Community Collge budget.

Tom

Lodi, CA

This just keeps getting funnier. Thanks for the comic relief.

BTW, my youngest son (age 13) has aspirations on that little po-dunk college in Cambridge. I keep telling him he better be real smart and get a scholarship because daddy has a Community Collge budget.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Glad to provide the comic relief!!

Catherine, many people wonder how I have strayed so far from my molecular biology days working on rNA tumor viruses or protein chemistry studying multiple sclerosis. I'm from, among other fine schools, the large institution on the other side of the Charles. (A small technical college... now that IS funny!) It's good to know there are many others who have recreated themselves over the years. And I think our respective backgrounds help explain the common ground we often times find. Sort of logical and methodical except when those hormones kick in!

So many of my clients are amazed at my Civil Engineering diplomas on my wall. "Why would someone with an engineering degree be preparing taxes?" We all travel our various paths. Glad I'm not the only one who made such a career change. I feel my degree comes in handy in this profession -- it helped me hone my problem solving and logic skills.

my ex-husband is an engineer. I had to fire him last year..thinks he knows everything. New accountant (think he picked him because he's really cheap & just starting out) messed up his return royally. Wait 'til he gets the real estate pro audit. Rep work? $150 an hour with a BIG PITA fee, or maybe I won't do it at all; he's been trying to get away with too much crap.

my ex-husband is an engineer. I had to fire him last year..thinks he knows everything. New accountant (think he picked him because he's really cheap & just starting out) messed up his return royally. Wait 'til he gets the real estate pro audit. Rep work? $150 an hour with a BIG PITA fee, or maybe I won't do it at all; he's been trying to get away with too much crap.

Usually the "thinks he knows everything" engineer is a poor engineer as well as a PITA. A -good- engineer wants to know where every number comes from and why it's handled the way it's being handled, but never claims to know everything or even to know better than another professional. But there are way more of the former than the latter, and one of the reasons I'm glad to be -out- of engineering.

One of the best engineers I ever worked with was very clear: "As long as proper care was taken in collecting data, then the data ARE. And if they do not agree with your theory, then it's time to re-examine your theory for the flaws that surely exist." But there are far too many numb-noggins out there who blithely and cheerfully convince themselves that their beloved theories must be so, therefore the data must be wrong. Phlogiston chemistry, anyone?