ATX Community

ATX SOFTWARE START UP

taxit

Is anyone else having any issues with the start up time of the ATX program? Also, today I had to delete my login and create another to be able to get into the program.

It takes any where from 2 to 5 minutes for my program to open and then, even though I unchecked auto updates, it takes another 4 or 5 minutes to update. C/S told me to " In order to stop the automatic update inside the program on Return Manager> Preferences> Automatic Updates> uncheck the check mark> click apply." Obviously, they don't read the email, where I stated I did this and still had a problem. There are posts on My ATX referring to the same problem and the end result is uninstall and reinstall, but evidently it is involved and you need to be on the phone with a tech to do it. ugh.

I have had to reboot my computer several times, because it takes so long to open and when I check the status, it doesn't appear to be doing anything. I don't know if it is really frozen or if it is thinking alot. I have some more memory to install in my computer, when I find the time. Maybe that will help.

Bonnie

Is anyone else having any issues with the start up time of the ATX program? Also, today I had to delete my login and create another to be able to get into the program.

Just really getting into the return filing. Noticed this "slow startup" issue along with a very slow response to access a return in return manager over the weekend. Have rebooted and rechecked all the preferences that I setup. Then went back to make a comparison to settings in the 2008 program and found a similar problem now with 2008. It appears to be a software issue rather than a computer problem. And I have 4mg of RAM on a Dell system that has always been very quick for me. Hopefully ATX will address this - reminds me of the slow client letter access that we had several years back.

One other thing to check is how much free disk space you have. As a disk gets full, it takes longer to move around it. You might want to add a new hard drive, or move some seldom used stuff over to a flash drive or external drive to give it more room. And of course, you need to make it a habit to defrag your drive AT LEAST once a week, Consider downloading Defraggler

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download

or MyDefrag http://www.mydefrag.com/Manual-DownloadAndInstall.html

either of which can be set up to run automatically. Then set it to run every night while you are gone, and it should help your machine run at best speed.

OK, those were just suggestions to consider. Certainly would not apply to everyone. I don't understand why the program is doing automatic update if you unchecked that option, unless maybe you forgot to then check 'apply'? Not intending to be insulting, just trying to think of any reason. I tried the auto update, but did not like having to wait for it, so unchecked it. And it has not done it since. I do an update several times a day, but at my convenience, rather than have it hold me up if I need to open it 'right now'.

As for space available, that is good, but it still speeds things up to defrag, in my experience, even if the drive is only 1/3 full. The MyDefrag program, especially, offers several options that can speed up access. It optimizes as well as defrags, and the deep defrag option [the Monthly one] made a noticeable improvement in one of my computers.

"Not intending to be insulting, just trying to think of any reason." You are not, far from it. I have my defrag set to work at 10%. I have clicked and (un)clicked applied and (un) applied so many times I have lost count. The real trip is where I wait for an update, it finally ends, I open a return and it updates exactly what it just updated again!! BUT according to C/S just uncheck and apply and it will work great!

"Not intending to be insulting, just trying to think of any reason." "You are not, far from it."

Don't let the frustration with your computer influence you mood towards people who are trying to be helpful.

Do you have google desktop on your computer, any tool bars or any cool screen savers? I would start by removing those programs. Also, please click on start, run and type msconfig and click OK. Click on startup and uncheck everything except for your antivirus. Reboot and you will get a message stating that you are being selective, click "don't show me this message again" and OK. After you do that, go back to your preferences and uncheck automatically updates on ATX, (don't forget to click apply,lol).

When I opened ATX this morning, my usual 3 to 5 minute wait continued. I just downloaded the new version .2.82 and the problems I have been experiencing are gone. 15 seconds for program to open. Still have update problem when opening return or don't do anything of a few minutes, but that I can live with.

When I opened ATX this morning, my usual 3 to 5 minute wait continued. I just downloaded the new version .2.82 and the problems I have been experiencing are gone. 15 seconds for program to open. Still have update problem when opening return or don't do anything of a few minutes, but that I can live with.

New version fixed mine also.