ATX Community

one-time Economic Recovery payment of $250 in 2009

cred65

Economic Recovery Payments

Recipients of social security benefits, railroad retirement benefits, or veterans’ benefits were eligible to receive a one-time Economic Recovery payment of $250 in 2009. The receipt of this payment will not be reported on the respective information forms (SSA-1099, RRB-1099, etc.) received by taxpayers. The IRS is not able to assist taxpayers with determining whether they received the payment or the amount. If this information is needed, the taxpayer must contact the agency that made the payment to them. The following phone numbers can be used for that purpose:

Social Security Administration - 800.772.1213.

Additional information is available on their website.

Railroad Retirement Board - 877.772.5772.

Veterans Administration - 800.827.1000.

Economic Recovery Payments

Recipients of social security benefits, railroad retirement benefits, or veterans’ benefits were eligible to receive a one-time Economic Recovery payment of $250 in 2009. The receipt of this payment will not be reported on the respective information forms (SSA-1099, RRB-1099, etc.) received by taxpayers. The IRS is not able to assist taxpayers with determining whether they received the payment or the amount. If this information is needed, the taxpayer must contact the agency that made the payment to them. The following phone numbers can be used for that purpose:

Social Security Administration - 800.772.1213.

Railroad Retirement Board - 877.772.5772.

Veterans Administration - 800.827.1000.

Why would the TP not know if they received pmt or not? Do they not get more in their monthly payment or a check mailed or something? I just received some tax info from a new client today and they both are retired and have 1099-SA so guess I need them to call huh? :scratch_head:

"Why would the TP not know if they received pmt or not?"

Maybe because they are a little old and their memory is not as good as it used to be. Maybe because when we get money we spend and forget about it. Maybe because people tend to remember longer if they have to return some money back to the government and tend to forget if they receive some money from the government. Maybe because they (and their tax professional) expected that the Social Security Administration was going to report the amount of the credit on the regular SS form at the end of the year.

I don't think anyone who was eligible & didn't receive the $250 payment can get it via their Federal Tax Return unless they had earned income. If they didn't receive the payment and didn't have earned income, that's a matter between them and SocSec Admin (or the other agencies.)

I don't plan to even bring it up unless they had earned income AND began receiving benefits in late 2008. For everyone else, I'm assuming they received it. (That is, unless someone points out a flaw in my reasoning here)