ATX Community

2007 Max Delivered

windmill

This is the earliest I have seen the new year disk come out. Installed it and seems to work great, with most of the basic forms. The client letter has some upgrades, but looks like it still needs to be customized to be useful, especially for e-filers. So far, I am believing that CCH really wants to maintain ATX as a strong independent product line !

I am also getting my program estimated to be delivered on December 11th. To my sadness, it is not ATX for the first time in years. I was a Parsons fatality and then offered the ProSeries program at a cost similar to Parsons from Intuit if I would renew with them since they had just bought out Parsons. I was in the infancy of my business, just retiring as an Agent with the IRS a few years earlier when I started with Parsons. The next year ProSeries went way out of my price range at the time and I found ATX, Saber and have been with them ever since. Until this year, for the first time I did not renew by the discount date, was upset as many were about the closing of the message board, but got over that. My main concern was the take over by CCH, so for the first time in years I started ordering demos, some ok some not. Of course I was so used to ATX that everything else seemed so uncomfortable. I was just ready to renew with ATX within the next week, had been talking to a rep from another provider, whose company I did like and program had been taunted by many, not on this board but on others, such as the Tax Book board where many ATXers went when the ATX board vanished. Some of course loved it, the people who use it and are loyal and those who didn't and used other programs. I had told him if he could offer me the program under $700 I would consider it, he couldn't. Yesterday morning he called, and offered me the all inclusive program for under $700, 1040, all business returns including the 990, all states and free e-file, a today only deal. I took it, after it was all done, I felt like my dog just died, so used to ATX and being part of that "family". They also had no shipping and handling charge and are coverting ATX files to thiers. I even hesitated to relate my experience on this board, feeling now as an outsider, although I may have only contributed to the board 5-10 times a year, I was here on a daily basis, meaning the old board as well as this new one. I guess I just had to tell my sad story to the only people that would understand. The one good thing about it, is that in a way it is a bit exciting to learn and use a new program, to discover the small things like I did with ATX, although it took some years to find those neat little tweaks you could do. The program is much different, but I run my office where the client is not present while I prepare the taxes, they either drop them off or come in for a short interview, so I have time to prepare the returns without the pressure of some one over my shoulder, not meaning there won't be pressure getting them out and long nights into the morning. Ok, I am done now.

One thing I like about this board is that we can discuss other programs without feeling like traitors. BJM, think you for sharing your feelings. I also have been with ATX since about 1995 and was very disappointed with the change of ownership. I considered changing, but decided to try them one more year. We'll see what happens from here.

Gene

One thing I like about this board is that we can discuss other programs without feeling like traitors. BJM, think you for sharing your feelings. I also have been with ATX since about 1995 and was very disappointed with the change of ownership. I considered changing, but decided to try them one more year. We'll see what happens from here.

Gene

I sat on the fence too, just renewing 2 weeks ago so that I could get my banking set up. I almost went with DRAKE. In fact, I sent an e-mail to the sales rep last night telling her I would not switch. Very similar feelings as BJM. I am pretty certain that ATX will not be my long term solution, because CCH will price it out of the market.

BJM - please post the name of the software company (no one is going to pull your post here - CCH is not controlling this board) and your experiences. They are really valued, as are you in this community. Just because you don't use the software, don't leave us. WE may be joining you with your company.

Anyone who switches to Drake, please let me know how it goes. Especially in CA. I was all set to switch until the sales rep said "We are going to be much better with CA this year". That scared me away, since they admitted they had issues to get better at with CA returns. It was that unknown more than anything that prevented me from leaving ATX. Its the devil you know versus the devil you don't. I have been through the worst of ATX (remember the e-file fiasco 3 or 4 years ago complete with airline vouchers?) and can get through it again if need be. I don't want to figure out how to get through some new issues with another software company.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Yes, using other programs does not make you less a part of our Community, if you want to be. We are all wondering about how things will go. I must admit to a lot of angst about some of the changes, although the early delivery of the program is one positive sign that I like a lot. It looks good, and the enhancements they are touting, if they are what they say they are, will be welcomed. Having it in my hands in Nov is a real spirit booster.

I liked the changes ATX made last year on CA returns, Tom, so I can well understand why that would be a real issue for all you CA preparers, if a program does not address well the many differences that CA has. Especially this year, with the 'domestic partner' issues in CA. I'd hate to have to deal with those!

I received my 2007 ATX software disk today, which I thought was odd since I haven't decided yet to renew. When I called, they said they were sending out the disks but you had to purchase in order to unlock & use it. Right now it's just sitting on my desk since I'm still contemplating what I'm going to do while evaluating other programs.

Drake has its benefits and TaxSlayer seems to offer the same sort of personal attention that made ATX what it was in the distant past. Of course, there's still the learning curve to think about and the different input screens so I'm doing what I do best - procrastinating.

For me, the main problem is that I switched over from Ultra Tax a couple of years ago and it had me spoiled. I can also switch back fairly easliy by just getting the 2005 & 2006 programs & rolling over twice without having to go through any conversion process, other than manually entering the new 2005 & 2006 clients The only obstacle is the price differential, but they're talking about making some sort of deal with me. They gave us a pretty good discount when we were converted over from Microvision a few years back so I know they are willing to work with preparers on price - we will see what happens. As I said, I'm a good procrastinator.

(I thought I'd toss in the names of the other programs just so BJM doesn't feel uneasy talking about other software. And even if I do change I still plan to stick around on this forum - it's too valuable a resource for all of us)

I got mine yesterday and was also surprised. People at atx that I have had discussions with say that the main change has been classier marketing materials since CCH is a publishing company among other things. I think I have seen that also with the updates they have sent. However, my 2007 cd update does not install. I get to the "preparing to install" screen with the 0% showing and it just stays there. Guess I will be contacting them.

I received my 2007 ATX software disk today, which I thought was odd since I haven't decided yet to renew. When I called, they said they were sending out the disks but you had to purchase in order to unlock & use it. Right now it's just sitting on my desk since I'm still contemplating what I'm going to do while evaluating other programs.

Drake has its benefits and TaxSlayer seems to offer the same sort of personal attention that made ATX what it was in the distant past. Of course, there's still the learning curve to think about and the different input screens so I'm doing what I do best - procrastinating.

For me, the main problem is that I switched over from Ultra Tax a couple of years ago and it had me spoiled. I can also switch back fairly easliy by just getting the 2005 & 2006 programs & rolling over twice without having to go through any conversion process, other than manually entering the new 2005 & 2006 clients The only obstacle is the price differential, but they're talking about making some sort of deal with me. They gave us a pretty good discount when we were converted over from Microvision a few years back so I know they are willing to work with preparers on price - we will see what happens. As I said, I'm a good procrastinator.

(I thought I'd toss in the names of the other programs just so BJM doesn't feel uneasy talking about other software. And even if I do change I still plan to stick around on this forum - it's too valuable a resource for all of us)

I have had that issue in the past, but found if I just walked away and did something else then come back to it the installation would continue. I think at least for myself, I get impatient and expect my computer to immediately do what I say, but my computer sometimes has a mind of it's own. I would try it again and time it to see if it really is stuck on 0% or if maybe it thinking about it!

Deb!

I have had that issue in the past, but found if I just walked away and did something else then come back to it the installation would continue. I think at least for myself, I get impatient and expect my computer to immediately do what I say, but my computer sometimes has a mind of it's own. I would try it again and time it to see if it really is stuck on 0% or if maybe it thinking about it!

Deb!

I am doing that now. So we will see & thanks for the reply!! :P

BJM, of course you know that it doesn't matter which program you use, you're still welcome to join in all the upcoming fun :D

I take it you might have decided on TaxSlayer Pro?? If so, please let me know how that works out for you.

Good luck!!

Eli

You are correct Eli, I went with TaxSlayer Pro. I have done two 1120's and one 990 on the demo they sent me so far and seems to work fine. The 1040's of course are within a couple months or less, so I must do a crash course on those.