ATX Community

Trust Income reported on personal return

taxbrewster

I am doing my friends taxes. He married a very wealthy woman. Her father set up several trusts which have dividends, interest, and capital gains throughout the year. I spoke with her father and he wants me to report the trust capital gains on their personal returns. It is what his CPA advised him to do. But I think the trust should have it's own return correct. The 1099-B is in a different federal ID number then the wife SS #, so should that not be reported on the trust return and taxes paid by the trust? Is it possible to attribute that income to their personal 1040?

I have been finding conflicting results on my research. Thanks.

If the trust has an EIN then the IRS is expecting a trust return. If the trust states that the income received by the trust is to be distributed to the trust beneficiaries, then the trust will issue K-1 to each of the benes with their share of the income.

Whoa!!

These are probably Grantor type trusts where you would file the 1041 without K-1s but add a list of items that would be reported on the 1040.

Go to ATX, pull up a 1041, mark the upper left box that says Grantor type trust and read the note in red at the center of page 1.

Then learn about Grantor type trusts.

taxbilly

Let me add my 2 cents worth here. All of the suggestions are good but any trust return is nothing less than complex and you should not proceed until you have the trust instrument. One suggestion was a trust return (1041) should be filed anyway. What if this were a CRUT where the trust return is to be completed using form 1041A that carriers a 5k penalty for filing on the wrong form. Again, I apologize if you think I am yelling but GET THE TRUST DOCUMENTS.

Still though, a 1041 needs to be filed no matter what correct? Then that determines what type of trust it is and how to handle income, etc. You can't just input the information from the trust on to someone's sch b and sch d.

Well, yes you can if it is a revocable living trust. In effect, the trust does not really exist until it becomes irrevocable. So, I could put all my assets into a revocable living trust, and all the income would still go on my 1040. NO 1041, NO K-1.

True, but a revocable living trust should not have it's own EIN in that case. The earnings would all be reported under the SSN of the grantor.

The income would be included on the daughters return. Still waiting on the trust documents. The trust does have it's own EIN, the father explained they treated the income on the daughters return as "income from pass through". I think they did it as well, to save on the cost of filing the trust returns since the amount of income as so low.