ATX Community

NT - If it feels good.

Ray in Ohio

A great thing about a home office is not having to wear shoes (or, um, other things but we won't go there) at all or sometimes and putting them wherever it is convenient. Right now I am headed out the door for a run before it rains and the client who just called to drop off some things might very well see me in my running clothes. Hey, it isn't a pretty site but she asked for it!

Home office - -

The GOOD - -heck -- you can TRY to schedule around the family - - do the wash in between clients - -start dinner - -etc

The BAD - - - clients that call during the time you are talking with the kids - - trying to sort something out while on hold - - -etc

The UGLY - - -getting caught in your jammies when one shows up - - um - -an hr early or the wrong day!

28 years with a home office - -got caught twice - - -

Yeah, idiot husband (not always, but that day he was) opened door to a client when I was in my robe and just out of bed. But, the huge mail slot I had installed in my front door has solved a lot of those "not dressed" encounters. And, the phone calls trying to schedule a drop off, and getting dressed for just one drop off in a day, and the client who forgot something,... My office is in the opposite corner of the house from the driveway, so I don't get a timely warning as someone drives in. Client called yesterday after I'd stepped out of the shower and was in my old clothes to go work out at Curves and had wet hair and was driving by, could she stop in to sign? Sure, why not, not looking professional but I rushed her return so she's happy with me. No clients expected today and worked into the wee hours, so here in my pajamas, fuzzy slippers, and a fleece pullover. I'd be decently covered if the UPS man arrived but would hide in my corner and not answer the door if a client. I think the worst thing about the early birds is not so much that I'm not dressed professionally but that I haven't brushed my teeth yet. After all, we have to talk face to face! :blush:

Early bird wasn't today (hubby's at his job all week) but last Saturday when I wasn't expecting anyone; it was a gal who said she would drop off on her way home from work one evening, so early Saturday morning was a surprise. Anyway, I think I was up until after 4 a.m., so maybe saw your light come on!

Some of us are Larks [wake up early, like to work in early morning before it gets busy] and some of us are Owls [like to sleep late and work late, after the people go away]. Us Owls just run on a different schedule than you Larks, but we still all work more hours than the law allows. If we did not, we'd never get so darned much work done in such a short 'season'.

I will feel better, when I don't have to get up at 6 every morning to get my son up and drive him to school. He will be able to drive soon, but I will still probably have to wake him up, because he can sleep through anything and unless I move him out of the house, I will hear the alarm before he does. (I know he is spoiled and I'm an enabler.) I just hate working until 12 or 1 and then can't wind down to sleep and then getting up early, but I'm an owl and have always hated mornings. Hubby gets up at 4:30 for work. I don't know how he stands it.

Bonnie

Me too. I can easily work until 4 in the morning, but even if I go to bed at 10pm, it's hard for me to get up before 8, 9 is much better. I'd sleep until 10 every day, if I had the choice. Don't mind putting in a 10 or 12 hour day, it's just getting up early I object to.

As I said to a former boss years ago, "You can have bright, or you can have early. But they do NOT come as a set."

laugh.gif

Well, I've been married to a Lark for almost 47 years, so I've gotten used to it a bit. And he's gotten used to me being a true Owl. When we both worked, it actually was an advantage, since he would take the Lark clients who wanted early appointments, and I'd take the ones who needed or wanted to come late. I think the latest I ever kept a client in front of my desk was 2am. But it was his fault, since he waited around to bring his stuff, then needed it in a hurry. Back in those days, I still let clients do that sort of thing to me. Now, I don't. But I did add on a couple of extra hundred to his bill, so I felt better about it. And he was just happy that I got him done in time for him to make his court date!

Oooh, I LIKE that! And I note the 'former' boss. Sets are truly overrated anyway.

Former boss because that company closed 20+ years ago. We still send Christmas cards every year. One of the best folks I ever worked for. But also one of those insufferable people who only need 4 - 5 hours of sleep a day for peak performance. Ugh.