ATX Community

Sch M

taxbrewster

ok, T/P is married and both are retired. Both receive pension for local city in michigan, they were teachers. He started to draw SS toward the end of the year. Checked on the SS site, neither received the $250, so they are eligible for the $250 now, correct?

thanks for the help on a easy one...it has been a long day.

I don't think they can get they 250 from their tax returns. Were they working last year? If they did not receive the 250 from SS, they could be entitled to the full making work pay credit on their return but I don't think they get the 250 unless they already have it.

No, retired for the first year. Just is weird, they are owe money this year, I think they adjusted their withhold on the 1099Rs, side issue, but doing circles about the credit.

If either of them had worked at least part of the year, they would have been eligible for at least some of the Making Works Pay Credit. Unfortunate, but then I always think that students who work and are claimed by their parents lose out on that credit too. Makes you wonder how well thought out some of these things are.

>> they are eligible for the $250 now, correct?<<

Not even close. Eligibility for the $250 was based ONLY on benefits paid in Dec 08, Jan 09, and Feb 09. Wages throughout the year qualified for the $400/$800. Unfortunately, pensions were subjected to the same withholding reduction as wages, so their refund is reduced accordingly and they don't get the credit to bring it back up.

>> they are eligible for the $250 now, correct?<<

Not even close. Eligibility for the $250 was based ONLY on benefits paid in Dec 08, Jan 09, and Feb 09. Wages throughout the year qualified for the $400/$800. Unfortunately, pensions were subjected to the same withholding reduction as wages, so their refund is reduced accordingly and they don't get the credit to bring it back up.

Hate to disagree, Jainen, but each of the taxpayers would get a $250 credit on their return. Even taxpayers receiving a government pension (from work not covered by social security) who did not have enough income to be required to file a return should file to get the $250/$500 refund.

Cathy

I had a couple today, husband was self employed and receives soc sec. He received his $250. Wife was a teacher, does not draw any ss and she said she received a $250 check, too. Doesn't make sense according to directions of Sch M

Marie,

I also had a spouse receive a $250 check from social security without actively drawing social security. He is still working but of retirement age. The making work pay credit amounted to $300 as he had earned enough to receive the $800, but he and his wife each had received $250 from social security.

Cathy