ATX Community

ATX Converts

Mike D

I for one have purchased TaxWorks from TRX for 2010 as I have previously posted. My question is how many others have done so? If material how can we continue to use this board effectively? I for one would hate to lose this asset!

Thanks for any assistance.

Miks Dubin CPA

I've been using TRX for 3 years now. I still ask tax questions on the main board, and use this section for software questions.

The offer they e-mailed to me was for the $699 package at $299 as long as I buy each year by 5/1/10. I've already downloaded the demo but will not do extensive testing until after 4/16. I'm pretty sure I'll go with it since the price is so good for my small practice. I'm not sure how hard it will be to get used to their data entry method. I like the forms based.

This forum is too valuable a service to give up just for a software change.

I for one have purchased TaxWorks from TRX for 2010 as I have previously posted. My question is how many others have done so? If material how can we continue to use this board effectively? I for one would hate to lose this asset!

Thanks for any assistance.

Miks Dubin CPA

Hey, Mike-

Have you checked the TaxWorks board? Maybe they have everything we offer here?

I did browse the TaxWorks board and it appeared that they were getting junk posts only? Did I miss something?

I emailed TRX a few suggestions, initiate a TRX board, consider offering CPE credits for their training courses. Brendon responded that he thought they were good ideas and he would raise them with the powers that be.

Let's see how it pans out.

Mike Dubin CPA

I've been using TRX for 3 years now. I still ask tax questions on the main board, and use this section for software questions.

The offer they e-mailed to me was for the $699 package at $299 as long as I buy each year by 5/1/10. I've already downloaded the demo but will not do extensive testing until after 4/16. I'm pretty sure I'll go with it since the price is so good for my small practice. I'm not sure how hard it will be to get used to their data entry method. I like the forms based.

This forum is too valuable a service to give up just for a software change.

I did download the demo and did one return (mine) and although I think I could get use to the entry method, it took me at least twice as long to do the return. I think if you only do basic returns it's great. I have a schedule C in my return with vehicle expenses and a small amount of depreciation. Frankly I didn't like that aspect and it slowed me way down.

The price is tempting, but this year I'm almost at 250 clients and I'm just not sure if in the long run it will save me money because of the increase time it will take me to do each return.

Just my two cents worth! I will play with it more after April 15th, but I'm leaning towards ATX for at least another year.

Deb!

Deb,

As I had previosly stated in my posts, my good friend a California CPA used TaxWorks for the past 5 years and does in excess of 500 mixed returns, 85% personal. He raves to me about the software. He paid more than $2,000 for 2009 and now he is paying $299 from TRX thanks to me! He formally used LaCerte that also uses a data entry rather than a forms based software. Most of the high end, "priced" software products are data entry rather than a forms based software.

In addition, H&R Bloch uses TaxWorks exclusively for the preparation of all their non personal returns for both franchises and company owned locations. With all of the ATX & Taxwise converts I can only surmise that it will be getting better.

I also prepared my personal return from a conversion and it took me a bit longer than usual due to familiarizing myself with the software. I feel that the more I use it the more proficient I will become and never look back. If I stay with ATX it will cost me $2,700 for 2010 as campared to $699 from TRX for 2009. The number $299 forever bodes very well with me!

Good luck in your endeavors.

Mike Dubin CPA

I believe that I will take them up on their offer, but not for there tax software. I have always preferred RIA over CCH for tax research. At $299 for the RIA service, that is a steal. I will demo their tax software, but I am an ATX girl, it would be very hard to go back to an input sheet entry method.

Maribeth

Gene,

The add ons are as follows:

RIA Research

Client Write Up w/ Payroll fron (trx)

Fixed Asset Manager I assume from TaxWorks?

Document Manager From(trx)

I have not had the chance to review these add ons as yet. I intend to after the season!

I will report on my findings soon thereafter.

Mike Dubin CPA

• 1 month later...

Hope this board will get a lot of TRX users. I jumped from Drake to TRX last month. The main thing I will miss is the Drake Forum, it was a great help, on tax issues and the program. The input in TRX is very simular to Drakes, so I am doing good with the change. I do about 200 returns, and I have started putting in my tax returns in TRX, don't want to worry about a conversion. I have done 8, fairly simple ones, and each one gets faster and faster. I am making a notebook, with things I have figured out in TRX. I did that when I learned Drake and it has been a big help over the years.

By the way where is the Tax Works Board? would be good to have, and to see if it gets better during tax season.

• 2 weeks later...

Count me as an ATX to TRX convert for the 2010 TY. I just signed up yesterday at the $299 forever price. I played around with the demo by recreating some of my 2009 returns to compare the results, easy of use and the time to prepare the return. It did take me a while to get used to the input method vs the ATX forms based method so the prep time was longer in the beginning but decreased as I became more familiar with the software. I also attended the daily webinar they host which was helpful. Additionally I watched the training videos on both the TRX and the TaxWorks sites.

The version being sold by TRX has some differences from the TaxWorks version in both functionality and terminolgy used but its basically the same. TRX uses the "Peek" button to look at the form you have been working on where the TaxWorks software calls it "Flip". The TRX screen has four panes: input, output, forms & totals. Taxworks adds a fifth screen which is basically the tax form. It would be nice to see the form change as data is input but it isnt a big deal. And there may be a way to get this fifth (forms) screen on the TRX version.

TaxWork allows marking a field as an estimate by right clicking on the field and selecting "estimate" from the menu, the TRX version doesnt have this ... so it seems, After watching the TaxWorks videos I noticed that you could also mark a field as an "estimate" by the shortcut Ctrl-E .... this shortcut also works in the TRX version so while some items appear to be disabled in the TRX version it appears that they arent totally disabled.

Overall I am happy that I decided to make the switch and I am looking forward to learning the new software and I wouldnt be surprised if I wound up liking it better ATX. It seems like a great bundle of software for $299. I was apprehensive when I switched from ProSeries to Saber (before it was called ATX) back in the mid 90's but it worked out just fine. And I made the switch back then for the same reason that I am making the switch now...COST! ProSeries had gotten too expensive for the size of my practice and Saber came along with an offer I couldnt refuse.

So here's to a long and happy realationship with TRX/TaxWorks.

Glad we are getting more posters on this board for TRX. I have about 12 returns in now and it is going faster with each return. Thanks for the CRL+E (this is a major thing I am missing) it marks the entry in red, but does not give you any warning, that it is marked. The other thing I am going to miss with my old program is their Forum. It has been a great help, and I want another place to talk with TRX users.

I have not done the online lesson, but will give it a try. I am going over the training videos again. They make a lot more sence, after working with the program.

Glad we are getting more posters on this board for TRX. I have about 12 returns in now and it is going faster with each return.

I converted all my 2009 TaxWise returns to TRX TaxWorks using the conversion utility released last week. Unlike most conversions, this one also brings the numbers to the TRX return so you can see that the calculations match. I'm now reviewing every return. So far the conversion works smoothly except ...

Schedule C-EZ is not converted

Form 8863 is not converted

SEP data are not converted

Minor edits are required ...

Depreciation assets must be "attached" to the correct form

W2s must be "attached" to the correct taxpayer

Unemployment must be "attached" to the 1040

Zip codes must be re-entered to get automatic county lookup (if required for your state)

Only found one actual bug in the software ...

AMT depreciation adjustments are applied to assets attached to a 2106.

So far it's going much better than I expected. When I get done reviewing my converted returns I'll tackle the custom client letter (a dog in ATX but quite good in TaxWise). The print packages look good as-is with the return and the worksheets nicely separated.

More later. :)

Some facts about TRX software that may be helpful.

They are providing 1040 Works from Red Gear, not Tax Works. This is why some of the features are missing! Still an excellent system without some bells & whistles. However the fact they they are offering an asset manager with the premium version, not their homegrown product, leads me to believe that they might just provide Tax Works which comes with a very robust asset manager, we'll see?

They informed me upon my inquiry that they have about 500 members who converted to TRX Tax Works and are adding new members daily. This is good for all of us as they can all eventually join this board.

I have inquired with TRX about setting up their own forum as well as looking into CPE credits for their training programs, they are looking into it.

I will ask them further to share the link to this board with all of their Tax Works clients which should increase participation and help all of us newbees!

I will be using the conversion tool next week and let you know how I make out. To date I have done about 8 returns from scratch and I must say that I have reached some facility with the program. There are not too many issues that I have encountered to date other that the normal getting used to the product ones.

Happy fathers day to all.

Mike Dubin CPA

So glad to see action on this board. I had a bad experience with a conversion years ago. But it looks like this one is doing good. I like the idea of converting and then checking each return, sounds like it would save a lot of time. I am converting from Drake, so I don't think the conversion is available yet. I will go ahead and continue to input clients, because I don't want to depend on a conversion that I will get in December or November, and won't be able to check out each return before their appointment.

Today they said the Drake conversion won't be ready till Oct, Nov, or Dec. That is OK, I don't think they will have as many converts as they do from Tax Wise and ATX. I will continue converting, by redoing the tax return in TRX. I am getting a lot of good learning out of it. I least I know if I don't get done there will be the conversion.

Found out there is a neat way to copy a return to a different folder, so you could play what if, without changing the orginal return. I like!!!!!! a lot!!!!!

• 1 month later...

My ATX to TRX conversion didn't pick up the accumulated depreciation. I had to go back and put that in by hand.

Depreciation conversion is a weak spot in many conversion packages. The TaxWise to TRX conversion also doesn't assign the assets to any activity - you have to do that manually.

Did you see the conversion report that gets written when you do a batch conversion? It lists the clients and details the items that were not converted correctly. [Wish I could tell you where the report is, but I deleted mine after finishing the conversions.]

• 1 month later...