ATX Community

What bookkeeping software are you recommending ?

TAG

I started with QuickBooks when it was still a DOS program and not owned by Intuit. QB's cost has become too expensive for a lot of my smaller small business clients. What bookkeeping/accounting software do you like?

+1 Quickbooks, I don't remember the DOS version, but I've been using QB since 95/96 and before that it was One-Write-Plus which was DOS based. If your clients cannot afford it, have them use excel, create a template and train them how to enter the data, like that at the end of the year you can focus on the tax return preparation.

MAS

You could price out what your tax prep software company has for a write-up program, especially if it flows easily into your tax software. For the very small, I also have an Excel template that I customize for clients. The simplest QB, maybe the online version, used to be about $99 and sometimes free.

+1 Quickbooks, I don't remember the DOS version, but I've been using QB since 95/96 and before that it was One-Write-Plus which was DOS based. If your clients cannot afford it, have them use excel, create a template and train them how to enter the data, like that at the end of the year you can focus on the tax return preparation.

MAS

I agree regarding Excel. I don't think QB is all that expensive and I tell clients they don't have to upgrade every year although I would like them to do so every 3rd year at least. If it's too expensive and they are very small, go with the Excel suggestion. Set them up with a Receipts and Disbursements Journal.

I agree with Lion, etc. The recommendation depends on the (1) client and (2) situation. Who is going to do the work? How much time does the client have/how much time will the client invest? QB is my choice for those who will invest the time and effort to maintain it. Excel is "quicker on the draw," easier for many and adequate for many (especially when I share my template for Income and Expense and/or "Cash In and Out."

I used Peachtree for years.

It was easy to teach a client to use.

It was very easy to change postings that the client misposted.

It was easy to set up the payroll taxes, meaning you

never had to purchase a new one every year.

What I would do it when the client posted everything

for the year I would tke a copy of the company file

and view it on my computer and make the necessary changes

and do all the adjusting entries and then close the year and give it

back to the client for the new year.

I used the same version for 8 years.

It still works fine today, it is the Peachtree 2002 version.

It also came with a Fixed Asset program built in.

If you do monthly statements it will do automatic

monthly entries for depreciation and other things.

I used Peachtree for years.

It was easy to teach a client to use.

It was very easy to change postings that the client misposted.

It was easy to set up the payroll taxes, meaning you

never had to purchase a new one every year.

What I would do it when the client posted everything

for the year I would tke a copy of the company file

and view it on my computer and make the necessary changes

and do all the adjusting entries and then close the year and give it

back to the client for the new year.

I used the same version for 8 years.

It still works fine today, it is the Peachtree 2002 version.

It also came with a Fixed Asset program built in.

If you do monthly statements it will do automatic

monthly entries for depreciation and other things.

When you give it back to the new client for the new year, are you telling the client NOT to make any entries in the new year until you give your changed old year back to them? Or is there a feature like QB's accountants copy that I don't know about.

Also, what if the client has a newer version than your 2002 version? Are you still able to exchange files?

When you give it back to the new client for the new year, are you telling the client NOT to make any entries in the new year until you give your changed old year back to them? Or is there a feature like QB's accountants copy that I don't know about.

Also, what if the client has a newer version than your 2002 version? Are you still able to exchange files?

I make sure they do not do any entries until I bring the data back.

They have no need to upgrade to a newer version.

The file I return to them is for the new year so they can start posting when I give it to them.

I also give them a copy of the old one so they can get reports if they need them.

All you have to do is change the name of the company by adding the year to it and you can use ii for reports.

When I give it back it has the new payroll tables in it if they have a payroll.

I too much prefer Peachtree.

Isn't it true that QB 2010 is not downward compatible with all previous versions?

I too much prefer Peachtree.

Isn't it true that QB 2010 is not downward compatible with all previous versions?

The best thing about PeachTree is you never have to upgrade.

And if you do all prior year companies (data bases) will be compatible.

Randell,

It's the yearly payroll renewals $$$ that really irks me, even when nothing changes with the payroll taxes. And most if not all of my small business clients do not need all of the whistles & bells that QB's pushess for upgrade $$$.

So is it correct, that with Peachtree you do not need to upgrade the payroll module yearly? With QB's it shuts down-you are forced into renewing the payroll module.