ATX Community

Any Computer Geeks?

Tax Prep by Deb

I'm having a problem with one of my computers. I have Mcafee installed and is always kept up to date. Recently I have had a problem with pop ups that show up like a web page (breaking news) when I click off them another box pops up basically begging me not to close, which I do. I ran a scan and nothing showed up, my IP has a tool, anti-spy which I ran and came up with several tracking cookies, which I deleted. Now when I do a search on the internet and find the site I want and click on to it, it takes me to another site that has nothing to do with what I asked for. I can type the web address in my address bar and it takes me to the correct site.

Any ideas?

Deb!

I'm having a problem with one of my computers. I have Mcafee installed and is always kept up to date. Recently I have had a problem with pop ups that show up like a web page (breaking news) when I click off them another box pops up basically begging me not to close, which I do. I ran a scan and nothing showed up, my IP has a tool, anti-spy which I ran and came up with several tracking cookies, which I deleted. Now when I do a search on the internet and find the site I want and click on to it, it takes me to another site that has nothing to do with what I asked for. I can type the web address in my address bar and it takes me to the correct site.

Any ideas?

Deb!

Sounds like mal ware.

You can get (shareware, free online) Malwarebytes' anti-malware at malwarebytes.org and run it. That should catch what's going on.

McAfee doesn't catch everything.

Sounds like mal ware.

You can get (shareware, free online) Malwarebytes' anti-malware at malwarebytes.org and run it. That should catch what's going on.

McAfee doesn't catch everything.

I had that happen a while ago and my computer guy told me to download Combofix.com and run it.

This is a very good malware remover software.

Devm

Any ideas?

Deb!

Here is an update to my problem, I'm still having some problems with pop ups, but they seem to be getting better. My search however is still puzzling. My home page has three different search bars. The very first one right next to the address bar is my yahoo search bar and it is the one I'm having problems with. I have another that I have no clue what it is, it works fine, and then I have one that Mcafee loaded and it works fine. I know the simple solution is just to not use the one thats not working right, but if I have a threat I want to get it fixed.

I went to one of the sites recommended by an poster, combofix however I got all kinds of warnings from Mcafee about this site, were as the other one mentioned didn't bring up any red flags. Has anyone else used either of these sites and did it correct your problem?

Deb!

Deb,

IMMEDIATELY Back-up any and all critical data files on that computer. If you do not get it to a computer pro soon, and you keep clicking on those pop-ups, that trojan-malware will delete critical system files that will prevent a restore, or allow you to remove the offending virus. 1ST HAND EXPERIENCE HERE!

Once it deletes those certain parts of the operating system, the only cure is a complete reformat and reinstall of your operating systems and programs.

An older and less intelligent version of that same virus/malware caused me to have to totally re-do 3 workstations here at my firm. If I get to a computer before anyone clicks (left OR right) on those popups, I can save it. If you have clicked many times trying to get it to leave, it may be too late!

IMMEDIATELY BACK UP THE FILES!!!

I too use Malwarebytes to catch, prevent, and remove malware.

I also agree that you should back-up all your data files.

I use (and my husband uses) VMS Virtual Management Systems to manage my computer problems. They remotely fix your problems. VMSUS.com Well worth the price. I once called on a weekend when their sales office was closed to have them fix my husband's computer. They went right to work over the weekend, and we added his computer to my subscription on Monday when their office opened, charged it. It's an annual subscription, so even after they fix this problem, you still can call them any time over the next year.

Thanks to all who replied.

I contacted Mcafee and decided to pay for their virus removal service. I nice guy connected to my computer, ran several checks, turns out it was not a virus. He made a few changed to Internet Explorer, cleared my temporary folders and now everything works the way it should. He assured me it was not a virus, if that's the case my credit card should be credited. At any rate after working on it 1/2 of a day on my own I'm glad he was able to fix it.

Deb!

Thanks to all who replied.

I contacted Mcafee and decided to pay for their virus removal service. I nice guy connected to my computer, ran several checks, turns out it was not a virus. He made a few changed to Internet Explorer, cleared my temporary folders and now everything works the way it should. He assured me it was not a virus, if that's the case my credit card should be credited. At any rate after working on it 1/2 of a day on my own I'm glad he was able to fix it.

Deb!

I will hold my judgement about the fix for 48 more hours. Persistent pop-ups wanting to sell you anti-virus are not THAT easily cleaned out. This creature does not look like a virus to the anti-virus programs, and doesn't look like spyware to most anti-spyware programs.

It is a hybrid that the writers are "morphing" almost daily to circumvent these programs. It has a "trojan" component that will (whenever the writer of the trojan commands it) do whatever the writer wants on your computer. Even sending thousands of spam e-mails in the background while you work.

For Heavens Sake... BACK UP THOSE DATA FILES! RIGHT AWAY!!!