ATX Community

Windows 7 users

GeorgeM

I have uncounted the strangest things with ATX and windows 7 64 bit

I have loaded 2002 through 2008 ATX programs on my new windows 7 64 bit computer.

1st of all 2004 could not recognize 2003 return that was saved, I don't exactly know what I did to correct it but after going into properties for the 2004 program icon, and checking some boxes it finally recognized it and I was able to use it.

Now I am in 2005 and completed a return, saved the return and exported the return.

When I go back into the 2005 program the return will now show. I tried to import the return and opened the return and saved it again. Closed the program and reopened it and the return still will not show.

Has anyone encountered this and have a fix for me, because when I try to go into 2006 and carry forwart the information for this return it can't find it.

I am not a current user of ATX so my quess support will not help me. I called them the other day and all I got from a woman there was that ATX programs are not compatible with windows 4 64 bit.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I just loaded ATX 2008 & 2009 on a Mac running Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) through Parallels emulation software. I got a "path not found" error when installing and called support. She said that 2009 is compatible with 64 bit but older versions are not. She suggested running the older programs in compatibility mode. You can use XP service pack 3 for 2008 but may want to use an older compatibility mode for prior years. The first step she had me do was turn off user controls.

I know my problem was different, but I hope those suggestions might help.

(FYI, to step that let me install was to copy the installer CD to the desktop and install from there.)

I just did this last night and have not done much testing yet. I will watch out for the problems you mentioned.

Good luck!

I just loaded ATX 2008 & 2009 on a Mac running Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) through Parallels emulation software. I got a "path not found" error when installing and called support. She said that 2009 is compatible with 64 bit but older versions are not. She suggested running the older programs in compatibility mode. You can use XP service pack 3 for 2008 but may want to use an older compatibility mode for prior years. The first step she had me do was turn off user controls.

I know my problem was different, but I hope those suggestions might help.

(FYI, to step that let me install was to copy the installer CD to the desktop and install from there.)

I just did this last night and have not done much testing yet. I will watch out for the problems you mentioned.

Good luck!

Thank you very much I just ran 2005 and imported the return, opened it and saved it, then closed it and closed the program. Went into 2006 rollover and presto it was there.

Close all programs. Reboot. Try again.

Windows 7 still needs the magic "reboot" sometimes.

I have 2005 thru 2009 on Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

Professional is better at old programs. If you have Home Premium, then an $89 upgrade to Pro is an absolute necessity!!

Are you running 2005 & 2006 in compatibility mode? I had the same problems with returns disappearing in the 2005 program. I have 6 years of back returns to file for someone, and would rather not use my old computer.

Of course, the old laptop means I can work on 'em in my bedroom, or one with AC....

Are you running 2005 & 2006 in compatibility mode? I had the same problems with returns disappearing in the 2005 program. I have 6 years of back returns to file for someone, and would rather not use my old computer.

Of course, the old laptop means I can work on 'em in my bedroom, or one with AC....

I use Windows 7 Professional, and compatibility mode enables automatically when needed.

Your problem may NOT be a Windows 7 issue, but an ATX issue. I remember tons of trouble in 2005 - 2006 with the very thing you are talking about on XP. If the ATX technician "automatically" tells you that it is a Windows 7 compatibility issue, ask for his supervisor. Repeat this process till you get the one of the three technicians that really knows what is going on. I have used this process successfully the few times I have called since CCH took them over. Most of the time, I troubleshoot and fix the problems myself. It is only when I run into a "locked" protocol that I need to call.

Just my continued rant about how insensitive and downright business ignorant much of the CCH management are.

I have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit too. I never had this problem (files disappearing) before with XP which is what I have on the laptop. When I got the new computer, I started loading the programs & data files working backwards from 2009. I didn't get a problem until 2005 when the program loaded, but not the files. I could work on a return, but it wasn't there if I closed out the program & went back in. Neither were the files I tried to import.

Since I'm filing 6 years of back taxes for a new client, I'd like to get it working better!

I have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit too. I never had this problem (files disappearing) before with XP which is what I have on the laptop. When I got the new computer, I started loading the programs & data files working backwards from 2009. I didn't get a problem until 2005 when the program loaded, but not the files. I could work on a return, but it wasn't there if I closed out the program & went back in. Neither were the files I tried to import.

Since I'm filing 6 years of back taxes for a new client, I'd like to get it working better!

The method you used. "backwards from 2009" is the issue.

1) Install the oldest program first.

2) Prepare the return for the oldest year

a. Be sure to save and back-up the returns in the program.

3) Installed the next consecutive year.

a. The program would have located the prior year database and connected with it.

4) Prepare the retun for that year, saving and backing up as before.

5) Repeat steps 3 & 4 as necessary.

You would not be experiencing the problem you are having.

I take care of 13 workstations with 10 preparers during season. Anytime we add a new computer, or a computer has issue that requires a total wipe and reinstall, I have to reinstall all the programs. We have used ATX since 2002. I am totally certain of what I am telling you! I have performed this task at least 10 times in the last 5 years.

Send me a PM and I will be glad to contact you and help you.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit for 2007, 2008 and 2009 flawlessly.

Jack from Ohio is 75% correct! Maybe 80%, I think 90%. After carefull thought, he is 100% right.

When you have 5 years of taxes to prepare what do you do?

You prepare 2004 first and make sure everything is correctly entered, correct?

Then you work on the next year. Use the same approach when installing ATX.

When you get a new computer, you don't want to install every single year on that computer (the reason you got a new computer was because there was so much trash on the old one, correct?). So you make a decision what years you will install and install the oldest year first.

Argh. I did the backwards method since there was rumors the older programs would not work. So I tried 'em until one wouldn't work.

I have ATX programs back to 1997. Should I just install 'em all? Has anyone gone back that far? I was't in business until 2003, but had back filing issues so I got the older programs. The really old ones only have one or two returns associated with them.

It may be worth your time to keep an old machine for the programs before 2003. If you wish to move all your old returns to your new machine, I can help you do that. I migrated to a brand new server at the firm in 2006. I migrated aprox 3,000 returns for the years 2002-2006 in the process. I have it down PAT!!

Contact me, and I feel certain between us we can get it done!

I'm keeping my laptop regardless...its fully depreciated so dropping below 100% biz use is ok. lol.

I also have my iTunes on there; but since iTunes not only syncs my tunes, but also my biz calendar, contacts, etc, I wish I could put it on my biz use desktop as well.

I'm going to try loading the old programs now. cross your fingers!

Mine are crossed for you. I have all years back to 1998 on my desktop,; running XP., but have clients in all those years. Since I have them all on disk for import, I guess it wouldn't be necessary for me to load them all to any computer. So far, only have 2008 and 2009 on Win 7 and no plans to add more at this time.

Unlock codes for 2002 & 2003 worked, but the programs wouldn't load properly. They hang up. Sigh. So I get to 2004, and find that Form 5471, which is the big issue for these returns, isn't available in the 1040 program. So I may be screwed even on my laptop, since it won't be on there either. I just hope my pay-per-return is still up and running. I seem to remember an issue with that when I transferred returns to the laptop way back when. WTF? This form is not a corporate form, its being filed with a 1040.

Glad I've just bought Max the last few years.