ATX Community

NT - Did you hear their names?

Jack from Ohio

Lindsay Lohan, 24, gets her name and face all over the news because she went to jail.

Justin Allen, 23; Brett Linley, 29; Matthew Weikert, 29; Justus Bartett, 27; Dave Santos, 21; Chase Stanley, 21; Jesse Reed, 26; Matthew Johnson, 21; Zachary Fisher, 24; Brandon King, 23; Christopher Goeke, 23; and Sheldon Tate, 27.

These are all Marines that gave their lives for you this week.

Did you hear THEIR names???

Now you have!

Each Sunday in church during our prayers of the people we pray for those who have died the last week in Iraq/Afghanistan. We read their names aloud. I'm the lay reader once per month, so have that duty. We also pray for all our military, at home and abroad. (We don't read all those name aloud.)

Lindsay Lohan stories sell papers and news articles. It money, money the american way. I agree there is too much said on the rich and famous and not enough of the people in the trenches. Last night I heard that a football player was drunk and texting when he hit someone. The team supposedly has a team car if you need a ride home. Now does he play this weekend or not. My opinion he would not play this weekend or any weekend for me he would be fired. This makes news and great role models but the military doesn't.

Thanks for letting me vent also.

>>This makes news and great role models but the military doesn't.<<

Well, the military does its share of personality-based news releases too. They just aren't as good at it as the celebrities who hire full-time publicists. But even in Hollywood the hype is about lifestyle. Except in rare cases, death is pretty discreet. For the military, you can easily find information about it, but out of quiet dignity and respect for the families, they don't flash big headlines. Personally, I agree with that policy.

>>This makes news and great role models but the military doesn't.<<

Well, the military does its share of personality-based news releases too. They just aren't as good at it as the celebrities who hire full-time publicists. But even in Hollywood the hype is about lifestyle. Except in rare cases, death is pretty discreet. For the military, you can easily find information about it, but out of quiet dignity and respect for the families, they don't flash big headlines. Personally, I agree with that policy.

It's still disgusting that spoiled, overgrown (but famous) children are known and discussed widely. Spoiled children need time-outs and clear consequences - not half-admiring notoriety. If they don't get that, too many of them end up dead of various overdoses.

I really pity a lot of these celebrities who've gotten famous too young.