ATX Community

How to mail a paper return

SunTaxMan

I attended a seminar recently taught by a former IRS agent. He said that in the IRS centers, tax returns that arrive folded are FIRST unfolded and laid out, and stacked up, on a pallet with flat weight on top and allowed to "unfold" for "awhile" so that the flat returns would pass through the scanner ADF more efficiently.

Question. Would we be better off in accomplishing tax returns filing that we have to paper submit to always (1) mail them in, or (2) at least provide clients with, larger envelopes {9 x 12) for them to mail their returns [to avoid this "flattening procedural delay"] ?

And, for the most part, NEVER mail or encourage mailing, in #10 envelopes.

Thanks,

Depending on how many pages, sometimes it is 3 fold and a # 10 envelope, sometimes it is 2 fold and booklet envelope. I never send it in a 9x12 envelope. When they request info back, the request is usually folded, they get it back folded. To fold or not to fold, I am not doing their work. They get it in the enveope that is big enough for the return.

If it has to be mailed, a few days one way or the other will not matter. We all have the clients that need the refund "Yesterday", but in the world of the IRS, an extra day or two before processing will, at worst, equate to a 7 day difference in when a refund is issued. In the real world, if a difference of 7 days in receipt of your tax refund will sink the ship, you have more pressing issues that need dealt with.

Now before you all jump on me for not having compassion for those "less fortunate" or "in situations not of their doing" I must tell you that I have lived through BOTH of those situations, been as low as it gets, and I make that statement from FIRSTHAND experience.

If it's a simple return with a couple pages, fold 'em. The extra postage to mail them flat isn't worth the bother.

Massachusetts, though, requires paper returns to be mailed in flat. Perhaps they can't figure out how to put a weight on them to flatten them properly. Or perhaps with the three-page standard form plus four-page proof of health insurance form that must be included, single-sided, with every return, it just isn't feasible to try to tri-fold a MA return.

Catherine

I used to have a client who brought me his invoices rolled up tightly with a rubber band around them. I had to roll them the opposite way and put the rubber band around it and let them set until the reverse-rolling made them flatter.

I would like to suggest that all tax returns be mailed rolled up and in a tube instead of an envelope. Now if you could just e-file them that way.

• Like 2