ATX Community

Schedule M Work for pay credit

GeorgeM

Can someone tell me that if a couple earns over 50,000. but it is all earned by the wife, the husband has only retirement income, are they entitled to $400 each?

The form calculates it as such.

The e-file was rejected stating that one of them received a payment from either SS, VA or railroad retirement. But neither received any such payment.

I understand that it is a work for pay credit and the husband did not work, but nowhere on the form allows you to state so.

What do you do in this case?

:scratch_head::scratch_head:

Paper file. But, I'd probably put in the $250 and e-file, then have the husband fight it out with the VA or whoever, if the cient chooses that route. $800 for MFJ.

Had one where I had to put in $250 for client. Her minor daughter received SS due to the death of her father. But, the SSN is on mother's return as dependent, so IRS insisted on the $250 reducing her MWP credit of the single mother last year. Mother has been dealing with SSA all year to show were she received $250.

Since the $250 was direct deposited, many of my older clients didn't realize they received it until I had them look at bank statements.

Since the $250 was a 2009 issue, you shouldn't have many that didn't receive it until 2010, amendments, late filing, paper filing late in year, etc.

The credit was paid in 2009 for those who received SS benefits in 2008. Only a few people would have the $250 in 2010 not everyone as state by Pacun.

You are absolutely correct. Except that this one was already rejected precesily because of a problem with the credit. Efile matches the credit and then rejects. If he sends it by paper, client will get a letter and there is no need for that.