ATX Community

Gold bullion

Achmid

Side question. Can gold be held in an IRA? Or an ETF on the gold metal itself?

Yes, BUT -- has to be a special custodian. There are companies that specialize in precious metal IRA's, and there are a half-dozen or eight repositories that will hold the physical metal that have dealings with those IRA companies.

ETF's don't need a special custodian.

JRS: sounds like you have researched this. I would have thought that ETF's and SPDR's, being registered securities and not the actual precious metals, would be treated like other securities, i.e. regular capital assets. Isn't the 28% rate for "collectibles"?

Gold, silver and other metals are considered collectibles. This must have been decided back in "the dark ages." If you go to the SPDR Gold Website, you will find this in the fine print. You will also find that the primary exchange is Hong Kong even though it is traded on the NYSE.

"The Gold Shares represent fractional, undivided

interests in the Trust, the primary asset of which is

allocated (or secured) gold."

This is also why I am not really happy when a client brings in ETF's. Some contain straddles, K-1's, and metal ETF's. The client really gets upset because they were "such a great investment with little or no downside in this market" when I tell them this year's tax prep fees are probably going up a $100.