ATX Community

DCN on 8878 (Extension)

Janitor Bob

When I create an extension Form 4868 and complete the EFINFO section, ATX correctly assigns a DCN to the extension. However, this DCN is not flowing to the 8878. I have created 5 extensions, and all 5 8878s have a DCN of 00001. When I look at the EFINFO tab of the 4868, however, there is a unique DCN assigned to each of the 5.

Am I missing a checkbox somewhere that causes the DCN to flow to the 8878?

When I create an extension Form 4868 and complete the EFINFO section, ATX correctly assigns a DCN to the extension. However, this DCN is not flowing to the 8878. I have created 5 extensions, and all 5 8878s have a DCN of 00001. When I look at the EFINFO tab of the 4868, however, there is a unique DCN assigned to each of the 5.

Am I missing a checkbox somewhere that causes the DCN to flow to the 8878?

The proper DC is assigned WHEN the e-file is created, and not before. That one caught me, too, so the next time by I read the little blurbs that flash by more closely.

I did create the e-file...and the DCN is stated correctly on the e-file info portion of the 4868....just not on the 8878

why is it that when you paper file an extension you don't need a signature but when you efile you do?

I know I have efiled some that I did not get the signed 8878 just the 8879 when final return goes in

I was wondering the same thing...I can't say I have alway gotten them either

it seems there is somethng different going on this year with efiled extensions (fm 4868). as far as i can tell, no dcn# is being created for extensions. some long submission# is being created...and it changes (increases) if you recreate the efile extension.

i have submitted a few extensions that have been accepted. so i guess i am a happy idiot...so far.

there does seem to be a new bullshit need to enter a signed date on form 8878 to allow the efile extension...if you are using the prac pin and ero entered method (the only way to fly).

what does this mean?

do you need a signed (the bullshit part) fm 8878 to generate the efiled fm 4868 extension. before you only needed a signed fm 8878 if there was a direct debit payment being made on the extension.

If you read the instructions, it tells you clearly that you do NOT need the 8878 when there are no funds being withdrawn to pay with the extension.

to complete Form 8878.

IF e-filing . . . THEN . . .

• Form 4868, and

• The taxpayer is not

authorizing an electronic

funds withdrawal.......Do not complete Form 8878.

The program automatically creates that 'ghost' form, but does not assign it the DCN because it does not actually go in unless there is a tax owed on the extension, and then it DOES assign a number, and the form will print.

OK...my confusion was caused by the 8878 form being present with no DCN....I could not figure out why ATX would require it if it was not needed....So I figured it was needed....which is why I was concerned about there not being a DCN.

I'll just do with the 8878 what I did with my daughter's mess of a room for years......not look at it and pretend it is not there!

Most of my extensions are going via MEF, so no DCN prints. Last year, it printed something about Modernized...; but his year, nothing prints. In my ELF Center, I see the long Submission ID and can print that detail for each client or export a list. Makes it more confusing about what to keep and how to file it to follow e-file rules.