ATX Community

"That's it? That's all I'm getting back?!"

Yardley CPA

It would be nice if certain clients had just a general idea of how the tax system works. I don't mean in regards to completing the forms and returns, but more so that there is no real magic involved in how a refund or amount due is determined. It all comes down to planning and withholdings. Simply put, you make a certain amount of income, there's a tax on that income and your withholdings will determine whether that translates into a refund or amount due and how much.

I do receive the call a few times a year where the client says, "but all my friends are getting back x,xxx, why isn't my refund that much?" Every year we discuss their specific tax situation and every year I include a planner for the following year, estimating what their tax may be (all things remaining relatively equal) and what their refund situation may be and, if they want more of a refund they can change their withholdings. Even then, I don't think they grasp the situation or the reality of it. I guess their friends get the best of them and probably say something like, "My preparer is the best, he/she always gets me x,xxx refund."

>>just mail in this W-4<<

I like, "Don't look at ME--I warned you to make those quarterly estimates I set up."

Or my favorite: The IRS punishes you for having two incomes--your wife could stay at home if you were a REAL man!

[Okay, I don't actually say those things out loud.]

The one I like is the self employed person only took 30K out of the buisness, the buisness nets 45K, has paid not 1040ES and he owes 7K doesn't understand why, wife also has w2 with holdings

Duu, even with only 30k taxable (his number) let's see income tax at 15% self employment (what is that, thats a 10 min discussion) at aprox 13% net. equals 28% on 30k income equals ? (8400) still doesn't understand, whats to look for more recipts leaving town Sunday, put return on extension with no payment not my problem if you bookkeeping is not up todate and you did not talk with me this last year, even a year ago we talked about the need to estimates and to come in see me about aug or sept to see how the taxes were going. Just love them

Some you can help, some you never can. They will gripe each year, but will not change what they are doing so that they change the result. I print out the 1040-ES, if they do not mail them in that is on their head, not mine.

I must admit, I have from time to time prepared a new W-4 for a client and advised them to turn it in at work, without fully explaining that it would make their paycheck go down. :dunno: It even worked for a couple of them. Other's changed it back once they learned their check went down. But hey, it is their choice. I just don't let them waste my time griping to me if they have turned down my advice.

I agree - no sense wasting time when they won't listen. There was a time long ago when I felt bad for people who consistently underpaid. But I finally got tired of commiserating with them - thicker skin, I guess. Now I just tell them they'll probably have the same problem next year if they don't do something about their withholding. When they say they can't stand a reduction in their net check, I just tell them to plan to pay again next year and I move on to something more productive.

It's useless trying to teach a pig to sing - all you get for your efforts is bad music and a frustrated pig.