ATX Community

unreimbursed expenses Partnership

ljwalters

How do you input unreimbursed expenses from a partnership? (This relates back to earlier post.)

Does it need to be on the partnership return 1065?

The only place I see to input on the 1040 is by adding it to the bottom of the K-1 in the 1040 return, but this does not seem right.

Any help would be appreciated.

Linda

Linda, they go on page 2 of the Schedule E on a separate line under partnership income or loss. There is a box to check to say that you are reporting UPE.

This answer is correct. I would just like to add that nowhere do they appear on the 1065. These are strictly business expenses of the individula partners that are not paid for by the partnership.

Also, confirm with your client that his partnership agreement requires him to pay certain expenses on behalf of the partnership and that they will not be reimbursed. Or, ask him to provide you with a copy.

I have done that, one of the reasons it is on extension (only one). But I still cant figure out how to input the info.

Linda

To record UPE, enter it as if it were a separate K-1 with the same EIN as the actual K-1. Then show it as UPE. Read the instructions for Schedule E, page 2 which explains it.

My software has a place on the K-1 input form to enter UPE and creates the second line with the UPE as prescribed by the Schedule E, page 2 instructions.

Go to the input sheet for the K-1 and scroll to the very bottom. Then make two clicks in the scroll bar on the right side of the page and it will bring you to line Y.

taxbilly

Well thats where I had it in the first place. I just didn't know if it was right. On the k-1 in put sheet.

Thanks everyone. My confusion

Linda